Shifter Cable adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 99 Suburban and I have done an LS Swap to a 6.0. I am finishing up all the little stuff and have run into an issue. The gear selector cable seems to be too long now by about 1/4 inch. When Truck is in park and so is the transmission. I see where the cable goes up through the floor and cant see any adjustable areas. Is there an adjustment to be had?

Thanks

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
There's an adjustment on the cable end where it attaches to the transmission shift lever. Slide the locking clip forward, pop the white locking clip up, and adjust cable by lengthening or shortening according to where you need it. Drop the shift lever into neutral, and move the transmission lever by hand into neutral as well, then they should be aligned. Push the locking clip back down and verify. Repeat as necessary.

Reaction score
There's an adjustment on the cable end where it attaches to the transmission shift lever. Slide the locking clip forward, pop the white locking clip up, and adjust cable by lengthening or shortening according to where you need it. Drop the shift lever into neutral, and move the transmission lever by hand into neutral as well, then they should be aligned. Push the locking clip back down and verify. Repeat as necessary.
Thank you I will try this tonight

Reaction score
Thank you I will try this tonight
Well, I went to adjust it and it was already in as far as it would go, in park or neutral it is off by about 1/4 inch. Picture

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I went to adjust it and it was already in as far as it would go, in park or neutral it is off by about 1/4 inch. Picture

That shift arm should be pointed towards the transmission. Flip it around and I bet it works.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
That shift arm should be pointed towards the transmission. Flip it around and I bet it works.

Yep, good catch. Super common oversight when r&r’ing trans. This should fix it, OP.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. Edge of the pan rail almost gets in the way when popping it loose; makes it easy to remember. And man that little plastic barrel inside the cable end sure does get brittle and stupid easy to break when removing/reinstalling... be careful! There are repair kits out there but they're like $20+ and very unlikely to be in stock somewhere convenient so you gotta order it. In the meantime, a medium size black binder clip works wonders, believe it or not.

Richard