SEMI Turbo Wing for Spoiler???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I'm a clown, always have been. I had a '79 Cutlass Salon that I made part Jeep, part Road Warrior movie heap. It was great in the mud.
But I didn't go to a g body forum with hundreds of enthusiasts who are passionate about these cars and expect to be taken seriously. That would have made me an a$$ hat.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a clown, always have been. I had a '79 Cutlass Salon that I made part Jeep, part Road Warrior movie heap. It was great in the mud.
But I didn't go to a g body forum with hundreds of enthusiasts who are passionate about these cars and expect to be taken seriously. That would have made me an a$$ hat.
I had an 82 Buick Regal 4 door that broke a rear spring. That started its conversion into the "pirate ship". We painted it yellow with blue scallops with latex house paint. We removed the other rear spring. We cut the roof off. We welded a galvanized fence post to the trunk and ran a pirate flag from it. I don't recommend doing this because the galvie is unsafe to breathe. We bolted a 2x12 to the trunk and instead of Chinese fire drills we would walk the plank. We would drive down the street wearing life jackets and rowing canoe paddles.
Yes, it was as hideous as it sounds. Unfortunately my ex made off with most of my pictures from about the mid 90's to the mid 00's so I don't have a picture of it complete. Good times!

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Do what you want, man. If it makes you happy, it's your truck! You don't need the internet's approval.

Unfortunately my ex made off with most of my pictures from about the mid 90's to the mid 00's so I don't have a picture of it complete. Good times!

This made a good image in my head. Memories to last a lifetime. :ROFLJest:

I didn't go to a g body forum with hundreds of enthusiasts who are passionate about these cars and expect to be taken seriously. That would have made me an a$$ hat.

My friend did this once. He acquired a decently complete 1957 ski boat - a borderline time capsule. Got on the forums and shared himself Sawzall-ing the thing front to back to make it world's 2nd worst v-bottom bass boat. Lots of hurt feelings and upset folks out there.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on guys picture the truck lowered and painted Gold LOL
I just threw up in my mouth.
Do what you want, man. If it makes you happy, it's your truck! You don't need the internet's approval.
Agreed, but....A) some things should be done in the privacy of one's own home, and B) he did ask for our opinions....

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other guy with the converter issue is hack'n and wack'n the stack off the semi as we speak.

They don't understand you're not rollin' coal with a gas burner. SMH! LOL

I'd use the wing for bumper skitchin' instead of a hood.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not everybody's got the same taste in mods, and that's cool. At least the guy has a sense of humor about it. :D

Not like that dude on FSC with the tape-on hood scoops that got super butthurt when everyone clowned him for it. I thought he was gonna come in one day and shoot the whole place up.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seriously? I've probably been 80mph without it latched before and no problems. On a more relevant note OP you definitely have the ratty part nailed, but instead of muscle that wing smacks more of rice. Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Yes. I don't remember if I had driven that truck with hood not fully closed on the highway before: 99 NBS Silverado. Probably not. Granted, those trucks a bit on the lighter side than the OBS. I was driving through a construction area, so I think the bumps and the wind just got the right timing.

I was in the middle lane and had a bit of a shoulder and used the concrete barrier to guide myself to stop. It was scary. I got out of the truck but hood got bent, so I got back on the truck and drove across the grass median (after waiting like an eternity for traffic to slow.) Got out and removed one side of the hood hinge, then decided to go down the embankment for safety, and got stuck, LOL. After a few unsuccessful tries, I got out and looked around. Now was upset because I really needed to get towed home! Straightened the wheels and gunned the G80 and it got me out. Removed the other hinge and tossed the hood and threw it on the bed, then drove away with my tail between my legs. Thankfully no accident. The hood bent badly near the hinge mounting area. I seen it right when I got on the highway, but figured I would stop and close it fully when I got off the highway. Lesson learned.

That's the truck that I had contemplated swapping the engine, so when I got home I finally decided to do it, with the hood scrapped.

I know on my OBS truck the hood doesn't latch fully sometimes. I have to get out and slam it hard. Even closed shut it looks a bit off. I talked to my buddy and he said don't feel bad, it's happened twice on my 1970s Ford trucks driving down the highway. Latch not working properly.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang, I needed this on my hood. Hood wasn't latched properly and my hood flung open on the freeway recently! In rush hour traffic.

OP, where did you buy this? do they have larger ones? I want to have a larger factor of safety while driving...
Or put it down on front bumper and just MOVE The traffic in rush hour!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a willing repeat participant in the 24 Hours of Lemons, I will indulge the OP.

First, the fat edge goes toward the front. Any other way makes you look like a tool to anyone who understands aero.

Second, as I'm post #19 and the only person to give you tech advise so far, plenty of people are going to see you as a tool anyways.

Now the tech advice, with safety stuff first:
If you mount it that far back and at that angle, you're going to lever your front tires up, losing steering control at highway speeds. To keep it neutral, you're going to have to mount it fairly flat front-to-back. If you want to put anything more than 2* of angle on it, mount it in front of the rear wheels. My race team had a moderately-sized rear wing on one of our race cars and we lost our front splitter halfway through a race. The front became significantly more squirrely. Aero done wrong is no joke.

The more angle, the stronger your mounts will need to be. If that thing rips off and goes through a windshield, you're going to the penitentiary for involuntary manslaughter. Backyard jungle-gym braces aren't going to cut it. You will want to weld four 4"x6" steel plates to the bed sills, fully weld two 1.5"x3/16" angle iron tabs to each plate, and use circle track radius rods and heim joints for your arms - that'll make the angle adjustable.

There are probably ways to mount it on the cab, but I wouldn't do it. It's going to bend and warp your roof. The Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce racing team actually has their Cessna wing welded to their roll cage.

You must be registered for see images attach