Security features in OBS trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What security features are gonna need to be bypassed when I convert my motor to carbed and get rid of the ECM?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not like car alarms or anything like that. What I mean is are there are ignition security features that will prevent it from starting without the ECM in the truck when I convert to carb

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that the only security system in the truck. Or is there something in the column

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Passlock is the ignition. No alarm or anything like that. So you might have to use a new ignition switch without passlock. Maybe swap a column and door locks from a 95-97 truck?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Shouldn't have to do anything, the passlock portion is just a signal in the ignition, it doesn't have anything to do with the actual starting of the truck. The truck will still crank and try to start if passlock is activated. If the ECM doesn't get the right signal it turns the injectors off.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so I am all set then since the ecm is gone and I dont have injectors anymore. thanks.

Would you happen to know if the cruise control or abs control box goes through the ecm to get its signal or am I alll set on this also

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
No PCM = No issue with passlock.

It's been a while, but I do believe the gassers (98 vortec right? Black box PCM under the hood) use the speed sensor input from the PCM to run the cruise control.

The older TBI units used a DRAC which sent the signal to the dash and Cruise.

How are you going to run the transmission?

4L60E needs PCM (or is it TCM?) control.....

Don't quote me on any of the vortec gasser stuff though, I've been out of them for years so the info is a little fuzzy in the gray matter...

*edit; Oopps, just say TCI trans controller in your sig line.....

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep I am controlling my trans with a TCI trans controller so that is covered. Would the speed sensor by the VSS(vehicle speed sensor) that is on the back of the trans because in theory couldnt I just run it to the cruise control box