Security features in OBS trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yep I am controlling my trans with a TCI trans controller so that is covered. Would the speed sensor by the VSS(vehicle speed sensor) that is on the back of the trans because in theory couldnt I just run it to the cruise control box

Depends on what the cruise control is looking for. The DRAC in the older trucks put out 3 or 4 different signals. For example; the speedo was looking for a certain pulse per mile (PPM) the cruise was looking for a different one and the PCM was looking for another again.

I can't remember what the Vortec driven trucks used though. I think the ECM just gets the raw signal from the VSS as I seem to recall the ratio selections/seedo corrections being available in the calibration files. You'll have to get into some factory service manuals and do some reading. Wiring diagrams would also be good. You could trace down the cruise circuitry and see what inputs it's looking for...

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I'm pretty sure the vortec trucks used the PCM to send everything it's signals.

If the TCI controller is compatible with a DRAC (I think they are like 4,000 Pulse per mile?) then you could easily wire one in and swap the VSS sensor if it was any different on the vortec truck.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Do either of you know if the abs works in conjunction with the ECM

I do believe the ABS only "sees" the wheel speed sensors and is pretty much stand alone from the ECM/PCM.

Best to look it up to be sure though....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Just wondering; why drop the FI for a carb?

Drop in a 411 PCM with a minor plug/pin re indexing and flash up a nice new calibration for the 383 when you do it.

If you don't like the Vortec FI spider thing, there's many many aftermarket FI options that would be much hotter and more streetable than a carb.

I was born and raised on carbs and once I got into FI I would never go back.

My 83 Mustang and 62 Thunderbird both run 4bbls, but that's only because they were built that way....

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wanna go the carbed route because I don't like vortec fi and all the aftermarket stuff is really expensive. Also carb is so much simpler to me

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Wanna go the carbed route because I don't like vortec fi and all the aftermarket stuff is really expensive. Also carb is so much simpler to me

Fair 'nuff.

:)

I would suggest a different vehicle or a different drivetrain choice if cost and ease of use is a consideration though....