Security features in OBS trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why would a carb not be easy to use. The truck is being driven in Florida which rarely changes temp

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why would a carb not be easy to use. The truck is being driven in Florida which rarely changes temp

Nothing wrong with a dialed in carb at all. Driveability issues with carbs tend to be more present in climates with more extreme temperature changes. Now if you where talking a 500hp DD, then i would say go with FI due to driveability concerns, but on a mild DD, there is nothing wrong with a carb whatsoever. Then again im a old school kind of guy, nothing like a 327 SBC with a 4bbl carb :)

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's around 450hp so I guess I'm on the bubble. My dad is exactly like you (person who decided we are going carbed) he would drive his 73 camaro any day if he still owned it

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score

Brutha, I'm in Canada. I know about getting carbs to run well in hot to cold temps.

:)

Nothing wrong with a carbed engine. My comments are more towards trying to "hybrid" a predominately electronic vehicle with part old tech and part new.

You're going to need standalone spark control, probably standalone cruise, standalone transmission controller and probably a few other surprises like cables, fuel pressure and pumps, regulators, etc. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that a 98 vortec truck is probably not the best starting point.

I would suggest getting an older square body that came with a carb and the options you want, or gut the drivetrain in the truck and run something like your 383, carbureted, HEI+spark box and a TH400.

Cheaper, easier to set up and much more robust. If you're tickling 500 hp on a 4L60E and a ten bolt you're asking for trouble.

That's just my personal opinion though. If you want an electric trans and a carbureted engine go to 'er!

I would suggest a 4L80E instead with 500-ish HP on tap though. They make standalone controllers for 80E's for around 500 bucks.

Cruise and all the rest is going to be a bit of a challenge though.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I already planned on running an MSD setup(HEI distributr, streetfire coil, and MSD 6AL box). I am beefing up the 4l60E trans and putting a trutrac in the rear end. I have read mulltiple sites say that the rear end will hold it. Its not like this is gonna be a drag car. Its gonna be a show/strip car.