sas stock 52's up front pics and measure request?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know a lot of people have used stock rear 52 inch springs up front for sas, so if you can what are your fender height measure now so I can compare them to stock, I know everyone says it's 4 inches of lift but bracket come into play and also most remove the overload as well.

So any info and specs is appreciated.

Also did you use a zero rate/e-z inch or add a leaf?

feel free to post up pics of your 52 inch fronts as well.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I know a lot of people have used stock rear 52 inch springs up front for sas, so if you can what are your fender height measure now so I can compare them to stock, I know everyone says it's 4 inches of lift but bracket come into play and also most remove the overload as well.

So any info and specs is appreciated.

Also did you use a zero rate/e-z inch or add a leaf?

feel free to post up pics of your 52 inch fronts as well.
stock 52's with no overload give 4" over stock 47's,using a stock 47" spring gives you 3" and then ord sas brackets give you 3" so 6" total for a stock 73-87 front spring sas, so using a stock 52 with no overload should put you at 10"

now motor weight plays a part, if you have a big block then it will sit lower, i used 8" lift 52's and the most arched add-a leaf made to make up for engine weight to get me to 18" then add the 3" body for a total of 21" lift to fit the 44's, the down side is with such arch and the longer shackles i made to utilize the arch for more flex also gives me a ton of axle walk under compression, so when i flex the axle will move about 7" rearward as the spring flattens out

Last edited:

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so using a stock 52 with no overload should put you at 10"

Hmmmm. Not this guy. With factory 52s and no overload I have about 5" of lift. My fender measurements are 41" rear and 43" front, that is also on 35s. My front spring pads are also about a 1/2" taller than factory stuff, since I didn't want to grind the webbing so much on the housing after the tube swap.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nice work on the tube swap, I saw it on another forum and here, I like it a lot.

I have a gm 10 bolt for mine to do this swap, stock 52's I think 4 leaf or 5, and was going to do my own brackets up front, like say a piece of tubing, frame wide, outside measures, welded to the frame, and the stock chevy or maybe aftermarket leaf hanger/mounts welded to it. I was thinking like a 2x4 or bigger piece of tubing for the front, and like 1/4 thick wall for strength. I had considered something 3 or 4 inches and then square instead of rectangle to do my front with, not sure what I'll use.

truck doesn't seem to be going anywhere, since I had it for sale so most likely I'll be keeping it and doing this swap.

I was always curious as to how much lift you get I know I alwasys heard 4, on an older truck or these, plus your spring hanger bracketry height.

I would love to run 37's once done, but most likely I'll end up with 35's for now, so I don't want it huge and they lok tiny.

6 inches or more of lift sounds awesome to me.

I had also planned on using an ez inch or zero rate, then throw in some add a leafs as well. for even more lift on the cheap. I'm running a sbc so no issues on more weight.

which add a leafs have the most arch? just whichever claim the most inches?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All said and done my hangers are about 4 1/4" below the frame in front and total lift is pretty close to 8", that is with stock 52's and no overload. With the bodylift and 38's I am sitting somewheres around 47" at the front fender if I remember right

silver98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a lot of confusion. In a '73-'87 truck; going from factory height front 47s (0" lift) to factory height rear 52s (0" lift), one will gain 4". In the day (when 52" spring swaps were ju-ju) the typical axle swap brackets (ie. ORU, ORDirect, ORDesign, Sky, etc) give a certain amount of lift over a factory height '88-'98 truck (we'll stick with that since this is GMT400.com), ORU: 3" I believe, ORDirect: 4" I believe, ORDesign: 3", Sky: 6" or 2.5". These previously mentioned lift numbers are calculated from using their brackets with a factory height (0" lift) 47" spring.

So, if the 52s add 4" in a '73-'87 truck, and the '88-'98 axle swap brackets give anywhere from 2.5" to 6"; in theory the minimum lift one could achieve is 4" over what the brackets advertise giving.

In my truck's case (and the few out there with my brackets), the trucks have averaged 6" of lift when using factory height 52s (0" lift). If 52s give 4" of lift automatically, my brackets only incorporate 1" of lift. To be more specific, and scrutinizing my truck, I have the 6leaf spring pack (with no overload (less leaves would yield less rate, equaling less height)) and my spring pads are 1/2" taller than factory; if I used a '79 D44 with a very typical 4leaf pack, I could have had a solid axle truck nearing 4" over stock. I know we're splitting hairs here when saying I could have dropped it an inch, but I'm just throwing out options and possibilities.

Sorry for the book, I hope it sheds some light to people and gives some good tech.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
right now with 285's and torsion bars cranked up, I sit around 38-39 inches all around.