Rusted out 92 k1500 rcsb. Need Advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David G

Reaction score
Here is a link to a video on YouTube that shows the end result.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

92chevySB

Reaction score
Your truck could look like this!!! Yes--I just restored this exact truck. It was a lot of work--took me seven months and $7K but it was all worth it. I watched a LOT of videos on youtube. I have many photos of the entire process and a handful of videos so I documented the entire process. My truck turned out so well, it will be on display for several weeks at Summit Racing showroom floor on their rotating platform in McDonough, GA sometime near the end of the year. Today, I still drive it and pull my boat but I don't take it off-road anymore. It is a show-truck now. If you are interested, PM me and we can talk. The one caveat with your resto is my truck was not near as worn and rusted. The frame only had slight surface rust on it and I had no rust on the body since my is a southern truck. I simply grinded the entire frame/suspension and repainted it. Yours will require extensive sheet-metal fabrication or panel replacement which will require welding and a certain level of body work. Anyway--e-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested in continuing with the project. I do love that regular cab and I think as long as the frame is solid, she could be restored to any level you desire.

Nice truck! And yeah I think I want to go ahead with restoring it. Probably won't be able to start working on it for a few months but when I do I'll give you a shout. Thanks!

David G

Reaction score
Great!! I am happy to hear that. I do want to tell you that after looking at the photos your restoration will highly likely require more time, effort and money than mine--not trying to dissuade you but just sharing reality with you from my experience. There is simply a lot that will have to be replaced on your truck. One factor to consider your final decision is sentimental value. If you really like that body style and have ties to it, it will be worth it. Remember--these trucks will never be worth bucket loads of money like restored muscle cars--even 50 years from now. After this restoration, I could probably get between $14-18K for my truck. I paid $25K for it in 1997. 15-20 years from now, I'll be able to get $25-35K--basically a little more than I paid for it.

My truck was my dream truck out of high school in 1989/1990--a red regular cab Chevy Z-71. It took me years to find it but I purchased it 24 years ago in August 1997 when I saw it brand new on a dealer lot and purchased it same day. I never abused it but took it off-road to my hunting locations over the years, pulled boats and hauled all kinds of stuff with it. The engine, transmission, transfer case and the paint is all original with 118,000 miles on it. The frame, suspension, bumpers, grill, shocks, gas tank, fuel pump, entire exhaust, brakes, all plastic & rubber components, emblems, lights, side body molding, tires, rims, center caps, splash shields, chrome fender liners, hood insulation, dash, headliner, door locks, door handles, toolbox, westin side steps, body mounts in addition to a handful of other lesser items. Yours will need quite a bit more just from the looks of it but I think it is a keeper as long as frame and crossmembers are solid. When I pass away, I will pass my truck to my brother and his son to keep it in the family because it is so sentimental to me and I have had it so long and put so much work into it to sell it. Anyway, consider these points I made above and I'll be here and can send you lots of photos and videos as well as refer you to some youtube videos that helped me out. Cheers and I wish you luck.

PS--Here is a photo of my frame pre-restoration for reference and you can understand the difference.

You must be registered for see images attach

David G

Reaction score
Two photos of rear frame after restoration--huge difference and I am sure your truck could be just as good with the proper time, effort and money.