Rev limiter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC, my 1998 ECU has engine RPM and vehicle speed limiters with hysteresis, i.e., an upper "cutoff" threshold and a lower "re-enable" threshold, for each. These are tunable.

I might assume all 96+ are similar.

I presume the ECU cuts fuel / stops firing the injectors.

Having the ECU retard the spark would be an interesting approach. Blowing both airbags and/or engaging the ABS would be as well, and maybe turning on the hazard flashers too.
I believe HP has it labeled as cut off, I think it's supposed to cut spark and fuel at set rpm. In the speedometer section there is also a MPH setting. You can't real take that section out of the computer, unless you are good enough at hex coding to make your own operating system, but the max value you can set is 256mph, and either 10 or 12k rpm. It has been a long time thought that the vortec black box had a hard coded rpm limit of 6k that can't be over come, but that has recently been proved false, you have to set the dwell settings for the rpm you wish to reach, otherwise the coil doesn't charge properly and it is like a rev limiter.

All the ve tables and spark tables only go to 6k, so what ever you have set for 6k is what it will do past that.

As far as I know HP and EFI live are the only ones that you can custom tune a vortec black box with. No a lot of demand for anyone to hack them, as anyone who wants to tune one, either invests in one of those two platforms or swaps in an ls pcm, 0411.

Universal Patcher has a vortec table search folder in it, but I don't think anyone is interested in developing it with all the attention on ls pcms these days.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as I know HP and EFI live are the only ones that you can custom tune a vortec black box with.

Unless I'm mistaken, both of those will only do the '98+ black boxes. Like I mentioned on the second page, I believe JET DST is the only software that will do all of them from '96 on up.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just stick 'er into neutral and floor it :cool:
neutral and rpm revs are usually controlled for the safety of the torque converter. Fuel cutoff in neutral/park whenever that started is to 1st do that, and 2nd disallow a neutral drop into gear at redline which would probably shatter something

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
neutral and rpm revs are usually controlled for the safety of the torque converter. Fuel cutoff in neutral/park whenever that started is to 1st do that, and 2nd disallow a neutral drop into gear at redline which would probably shatter something

Yes, some of these limiters show up under the tuning options for “abuse”, at least on JET’s DST, for 1998 and I assume 1996+

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not on the earlier '7747 ECMs. Valve float is your rev limiter on them.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That and an 048 ignition control module that takes an aggressive whack at timing advancd at higher rpm. My 91 L03 Firebird had an 048 module. My 92 G20 350 had a 369. The 048 module makes a TBI fall on its face at ~4,000 rpm in stock form.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I have mine set to 170 and Valet to 4 :anitoof:

You must be registered for see images attach

Interesting. Can you play with idle strategy stuff? It drives me nuts that my truck refuses to go to curb idle unless warm and stopped for about thirty seconds. Once it's warm, I can't understand why it doesn't take the IAC counts down to about where it was last time the desired curb idle was achieved. That is of course unless it doesn't store that information. All the Ford trucks from the same era do that. They will adjust curb idle while it drives, which is to say I never notice them doing it unless I'm actively paying attention. Are later year TBI's "better" at that?

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, both of those will only do the '98+ black boxes. Like I mentioned on the second page, I believe JET DST is the only software that will do all of them from '96 on up.
I know HP that is correct, have no idea about EFI live.
Always thought jet was canned only tunes?

Are there any left that haven't been swaped to 7427?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. Can you play with idle strategy stuff? It drives me nuts that my truck refuses to go to curb idle unless warm and stopped for about thirty seconds. Once it's warm, I can't understand why it doesn't take the IAC counts down to about where it was last time the desired curb idle was achieved. That is of course unless it doesn't store that information. All the Ford trucks from the same era do that. They will adjust curb idle while it drives, which is to say I never notice them doing it unless I'm actively paying attention. Are later year TBI's "better" at that?
The later TBIs are much better. They use integral and proportional filters for idle steps.