Rev limiter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
My 86' carbed 300 pulled a lot better than the 88' Multi port I test drove. the 88' fell on it's face above 3k, the 86' pulled clear till 5k, I don't think the 88' would even rev that high. Both manuals.

Jegs used to have a 4 barrel manifold for the i6's

Hmm, what do you need to be over 3k for? I'm no expert, but if it's pulling the load at a given RPM, keep it there or in the range? '88 Would've been the first year for EFI on those though. The oldest I drove was a '91, the newest a '92. Both drove the same with the exception of gearing.

To a quick observer you wouldn't think this is an I6 LOL.

You can see the knock sensor between the coil and distributor thats white, down low, behind wire conduit kinda.
I am no quick observer in this case though, that's a '96 or '97 flavor. Only time I've ever seen one with MAF and the relocated TFI. But yes, definitely a mess under there haha. What's with the orange string cheese?

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, what do you need to be over 3k f
Does a teenager need a reason? Probably not best to rev the ole boat anchor that high but I was young and It did it happily. I was beside myself when the 88 didn't pull to 5k but kinda flatt lined at 3 or so.
I believe 87 was the first year EFI on those with the new body style. My 86 was last year of carbed and old bs . Had a feedback carb and O2 sensor, drove that thing most of the time I had it with all that unhooked. Was a little easier on fuel when I hooked it up.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I never really took mine above 2,500 all too often. They seemed really happy under 3.

Actually, '85 was. The 302 got batch fire injection. So if you ordered the 302 on an F-series, it was EFI, at least with a half ton. I was surprised when I learned that.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, what do you need to be over 3k for? I'm no expert, but if it's pulling the load at a given RPM, keep it there or in the range? '88 Would've been the first year for EFI on those though. The oldest I drove was a '91, the newest a '92. Both drove the same with the exception of gearing.

I am no quick observer in this case though, that's a '96 or '97 flavor. Only time I've ever seen one with MAF and the relocated TFI. But yes, definitely a mess under there haha. What's with the orange string cheese?
The outdoor extension cables? That was the first owner or my grandpa.. it was run all the way back to the rear to provide ground and 12v charge for a 7 way plug.. despite that circuit being in the truck already.....
The other one ran to the trailer brake controller hwere there was wire taps and etc when.. thats all run to the connector for the factory trailer brake controller...

96 yes. 94 I think they relocated the module , 95 was MAF for i6, i6 ran to 96 except for some HD 250 or 350 f series trucks in 97.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never really took mine above 2,500 all too often. They seemed really happy under 3.

Actually, '85 was. The 302 got batch fire injection. So if you ordered the 302 on an F-series, it was EFI, at least with a half ton. I was surprised when I learned that.
That was in response to GMs having the 305 in 1981 with ESC getting insane MPG I bet

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 86' carbed 300 pulled a lot better than the 88' Multi port I test drove. the 88' fell on it's face above 3k, the 86' pulled clear till 5k, I don't think the 88' would even rev that high. Both manuals.

Jegs used to have a 4 barrel manifold for the i6's
they changed things on the 300 in the 80s and kinda flailed to get their footing, the early EFI suffered from not as efficient parasitic losses and also computer trouble and then the fuel injectors lol

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The outdoor extension cables? That was the first owner or my grandpa.. it was run all the way back to the rear to provide ground and 12v charge for a 7 way plug.. despite that circuit being in the truck already.....
The other one ran to the trailer brake controller hwere there was wire taps and etc when.. thats all run to the connector for the factory trailer brake controller...

96 yes. 94 I think they relocated the module , 95 was MAF for i6, i6 ran to 96 except for some HD 250 or 350 f series trucks in 97.
Yeah then they went to the 4.2 v6. I have 2 of those in 3/4 ton vans. Talk about a sorry excuse for a vehicle. The van it self is fine, I mean except for that signature on the grill, and the engine.