Resetting ECM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than do the 3 30 minute key on off reset? Same results?
Yep. Maybe you're confusing that with VATS?
Turned the light switch on for about 20 minutes. Reconnect the negative cable and started it up. Definitely made a difference in the way it runs.
What light switch is connected to the ECM/PCM? Which capacitors need draining? All you're doing is wiping the volatile memory (RAM) in the computer where STFT/LTFT (Int/BLM), etc live.

When you turn the key off, the IAC is commanded to its "park" position based on nonvolatile memory (programmed into the .bin). Then, when you turn the key on, it's commanded to go to its "Powerup Init steps" position based on Temp in the .bin

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where are the capacitors your referring to? The ECM is a hard written memory device, there is no resetting.
You might want to read up on it in the OE service manual. It's very easy to be lead astray by what sounds like good advice. But might be something repeated , and interpreted so as to loose its truthfulness.

jgas

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a result but personally I don't think doing a "hard reset" has fixed it. If it acts up again you may want to check the ECT sensor.
You nailed it. I got a result. Drove it off and on for a day. When I shut it off for several hours, back to the same problem.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As was said earlier, by removing complete power from the truck the active conditions, the learned operating parameters and self diagnostics , that display trouble codes , are wiped away. And now have a " clean slate ". That doesn't correct some defect, or broken part. As when power is restored problem is still active, or returns shortly when detected by ECM parameters.