Replacing Multifunction Switch...do I need to drop the column?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

I scored a NOS chrome multifunction switch of eBay, and when it comes in, I'd like to replace mine.

My truck has the cruise, so the little wire connector is running all the way down the steering column to the C/C box.

How do I go about removing/replacing this wire? Do I need to drop the column to make access easier? Remove the steering wheel?

Has anyone done this before? Any info would be appreciated.

rightisray

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wire has a little plug at the end, unplug it and tie string to it. Now disconnect the switch by simply popping/pulling it out and pull the wire with the string through the column behind it making sure there is still some left hanging out the bottom of the column. Take the new switch and tie the string to the end of the new wire and run it back through the steering column and plug the connector in, then pop in the new turn signal switch and you're done.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stalk pulls right out of the switch. The only thing electrical on it is for the cruise. There is a small connector about the size of a phone jack that is just inside the column, pull it out through the stalk hole and disconnect. Plug the new one in and slide the stalk into place. 2 minute job in most cases.