Good quality multifunction switch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have a really, REALLY, annoying issue. My truck is a 91 Chevy K1500, 350, 4 speed, 4wd. My turn signal won't cancel on a right turn; it only cancels if I "clear" it out by yanking the stalk up and down. I recently put a new cancel cam, and multifunction switch, all Ac Delco. I haven't taken the column back apart yet, but before I do, I want to purchase all of the necessary parts before I do. The column is a tilt column. It has the typical shakey wheel so I need to pull it apart completely to fix that anyway.

Edit: when I yank the stalk up and down, it'll clear on a right turn for a few turns after that. Then it will stop cancelling again. I'm going to replace the switch anyway. This AcDelco one is a giant turd, pos... When I lift the stalk up, it's waaaayyyyy to boney I just about have to put my whole arm into it to engage the flasher... If AcDelco is my only option then so be it.. I know it's not. I just need options

Any good suggestions on a multi function switch and cancel cam?

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As frustrating as that is, I think I'd be tempted to try another ACDelco. I just looked to see if there were any NOS on eBay that might not be made in China, but unfortunately I only found one that claimed "NOS" and there was no good picture of the packaging.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Fixed it!! I ripped the entire column apart. All the way down to the pivot pins, pulled those with some 8-32 screws (had to improvise; didn't have the pivot pin puller....) Applied loctite to the bolts and tightened them down real good. I put a Pontiac Firebird wheel on the truck while I was at it....

Now the signals cancel like they should.

Attachments

• PXL_20230817_193022141.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230817_193022141.MP.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20230817_210052193.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230817_210052193.MP.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 20

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fixed it!! I ripped the entire column apart. All the way down to the pivot pins, pulled those with some 8-32 screws (had to improvise; didn't have the pivot pin puller....) Applied loctite to the bolts and tightened them down real good. I put a Pontiac Firebird wheel on the truck while I was at it....

Looks good! I'm putting in approx. '92 Lumina steering wheel in my '89.

rpoL98

Reaction score

that head-end of the steering column looks so complicated, a whole bunch of gizmos and widgets. Glad you got it figured out. Nice steering wheel, too.

Just curious, were you able to get the Firebird horn button to work also? That would be the icing on the cake.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
that head-end of the steering column looks so complicated, a whole bunch of gizmos and widgets. Glad you got it figured out. Nice steering wheel, too.

Just curious, were you able to get the Firebird horn button to work also? That would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the love, brother! Yep, I got it to work. These Saginaw Columns are wonderful beasts. I had an extra horn pigtail laying around so I cut the portion marked in red, leaving the brass contact and some yellow wire left in the spring portion for rigidity. The horn works beautifully, only quirk (which I can deal with) is the horn button doesn't sit "level". Otherwise, it works perfectly fine; you can hit the horn button from anywhere and honk it! My neighbors hate me because I didn't disconnect the battery and kept accidentally honking it (with Cadillac 4-note horns, it's loud).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230822-082239~3.png
    Screenshot_20230822-082239~3.png
    70 KB · Views: 3

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for the love, brother! Yep, I got it to work. These Saginaw Columns are wonderful beasts. I had an extra horn pigtail laying around so I cut the portion marked in red, leaving the brass contact and some yellow wire left in the spring portion for rigidity. The horn works beautifully, only quirk (which I can deal with) is the horn button doesn't sit "level". Otherwise, it works perfectly fine; you can hit the horn button from anywhere and honk it! My neighbors hate me because I didn't disconnect the battery and kept accidentally honking it (with Cadillac 4-note horns, it's loud).
Those old Trans Am wheels are cool! I finally found a decent one in the yards several years ago, and I have it on a '65 Riviera tilt column that's going in my old GMC. The parts look a little different but everything works pretty much the same. I wonder if any of the T/A wheel specific horn parts are still available, or being reproduced (since they started using those wheels like 50 years ago).

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Those old Trans Am wheels are cool! I finally found a decent one in the yards several years ago, and I have it on a '65 Riviera tilt column that's going in my old GMC. The parts look a little different but everything works pretty much the same. I wonder if any of the T/A wheel specific horn parts are still available, or being reproduced (since they started using those wheels like 50 years ago).

I believe there is a big market for those types of parts. The aftermarket seems to be pretty plentiful of reproduction parts.