Replacement Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I was about to order the Delco one on Amazon as it is now $183 instead I am going to O'Reilly's today to pick one up.

I'd get the Acdelco....there's a chance it's actually a GM part from the Lockport NY plant.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same cap issue with the rad in my 97 Burb; I discovered it the day I was supposed to drive an hour to look at a truck, wound up being a 6 hour round trip due to detours, all the while that damn cap was dry rotted and leaking.
I found a pack of fittings at the auto parts store made by Dorman, found one that fit and jammed it on that night.
My 96 K2500 has that same port but it's a feed line for the heater core.
I used a short piece of silicone 5/8 heater hose and a piece of 5/8 aluminum bar stock and made my cap. Whizzed a little semi gloss black on it and blended the looks and end of weak cap problem.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd get the Acdelco....there's a chance it's actually a GM part from the Lockport NY plant.
Ya maybe your right. Hard to believe but the one in my truck is dated 3-4-98 so its probably original, might as well stick with AC Delco.
For anyone else on the RockAuto website there is a Delphi radiator listed for $154 part number RA1163 for 454s, I'm guessing that's USA made .

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya maybe your right. Hard to believe but the one in my truck is dated 3-4-98 so its probably original, might as well stick with AC Delco.
For anyone else on the RockAuto website there is a Delphi radiator listed for $154 part number RA1163 for 454s, I'm guessing that's USA made .
Mine was the original as well 1998, just replaced a few months back I guess we got our quarter's worth out of them.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some aftermarket radiators have an extra port below the cap that is used on some older models but not on the vortec. The manufacturers stick a rubber cap on it and call it a day, but these can crack after a few months.

The radiator in my 98 truck is aftermarket and came with that stupid ass cap. This was after about a month of use...

You must be registered for see images attach

I ended up putting a piece of heater hose on it and clamping a bolt into the end. Looks like crap and my confidence in it isn’t 100% but it seems to be holding up.

The alternative is to find a more permanent fix for it...or just get one that doesn’t have the port to begin with. When the radiator in my Tahoe started leaking, I used a Delco radiator and it didn’t have the extra port. I’ve had no issues with it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have discovered this shortcoming on my replacement radiator as well. I just keep a supply of the rubber end caps around to replace them as needed. It is a pain, though!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have discovered this shortcoming on my replacement radiator as well. I just keep a supply of the rubber end caps around to replace them as needed. It is a pain, though!

If you guys get tired of changing them out, there are silicone caps available that won't degrade over time like the standard rubber ones. Search for 5/8" silicone caps. Here's an eBay link to the ones I use.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/6PCS-16mm-5-...0912ffe83e17&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

Terrick down Under

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for that I use the 2 1/4" high top radiators with that port, the cap only lasts about 6 months down here, have just ordered a set. Again many thanks.

You're welcome! Hope they work well for you. The one on my Suburban has been fine for the past year or so and is showing no signs of wear, but I imagine you get considerably hotter weather than I do most of the time.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well update I received my AC Delco radiator and it has plenty of damaged fins right out of the box plus it is made in Mexico. I guess time to call the yards for a good used one and rebuild mine with a new tank.