Removing vinyl graphics on paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the best way to remove them from paint, without damaging the paint? My truck has a cheep paint job from the previous owner. You can see the vinyl graphics in this picture:
You must be registered for see images attach

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always had pretty good luck using a heat gun (don't get it to hot) and then cleaning it up with a good adhesive remover, I like the 3m stuff myself

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If it's a cheap paint job, just use a hair dryer. Heat gun gets too hot.

Then wash the truck and have at it with an adhesive remover. Hit it with the hair dryer again before going at the adhesive remover.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
x2. Just slowly peel away as you heat it.

If that doesn't work, a decal eraser wheel will take it right off... Just have to be careful with them not to burn the paint. But fairly straight forward and simple to use, I've taken off pinstripes a few times with them.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
x2. Just slowly peel away as you heat it.

If that doesn't work, a decal eraser wheel will take it right off... Just have to be careful with them not to burn the paint. But fairly straight forward and simple to use, I've taken off pinstripes a few times with them.
Eraser wheels are freakin' magic, I love them, but you have to be REALLY cautious regarding what kind of paint you lay them against. Factory non-lacquer paint they do awesome with. Anything that is already deemed to be sketchy, I would be very nervous. Also pay very close attention to the speed warnings. The 3M wheel for example I think has a max speed of 2K RPM. I noticed when using it for long periods it gets less effective the warmer it gets, so if I stopped and let the wheel cool off for a while it would work better again.

Richard

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Eraser wheels are freakin' magic, I love them, but you have to be REALLY cautious regarding what kind of paint you lay them against. Factory non-lacquer paint they do awesome with. Anything that is already deemed to be sketchy, I would be very nervous. Also pay very close attention to the speed warnings. The 3M wheel for example I think has a max speed of 2K RPM. I noticed when using it for long periods it gets less effective the warmer it gets, so if I stopped and let the wheel cool off for a while it would work better again.

Richard

Me too. well worth the cash.

I usually don't use them for stripes and such though. Mostly the 3m double tape stuff.

Well put on the speed and sketchy paint comments.

:)