Rebuild - But not Restore, K3500 Farm Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I wonder if this truck spent any time south of the border? Or if it wasn't built there?

Hmmm maybe… I was thinking big block out of another GM platform. Of course with it being an early HD it might have some square body carry-over stuff on it
Yeah maybe so.... I've never seen one that had these mixed format pulleys. But you could be right about the 3500HD making a difference.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That belt drive setup , mixing serpentine and V belts is certainly odd, is that a big block setup? Never seen that on a 305/350.
I bought the service manuals for it - the whole set up has been jury rigged.
The block is a 454, but now that I think about it ... when I was taking apart the front end most of the stuff was held together by zip ties, so maybe someone swapped the engine out.
Is the vin number also stamped on the block somewhere?

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here’s the belt setup from a 1990 K3500 454. It’s a SRW should be the same as a dually. To me it seems like the brackets you have are not the GMT400 ones. Also from the pictures it seems like the valve covers are slightly different also; it’s possible this motor was taken from another platform and put in your truck

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Here’s the belt setup from a 1990 K3500 454. It’s a SRW should be the same as a dually. To me it seems like the brackets you have are not the GMT400 ones. Also from the pictures it seems like the valve covers are slightly different also; it’s possible this motor was taken from another platform and put in your truck
Thanks @packer0440 ! Per my RPO codes, my truck did not have A/C but did have an Air Pump.
Thank you again, I was most interested in the power steering pump setup and it looks like the bracket is right, but the pump and pully is wrong on mine.

The next question, for myself, is leave well enough alone or back to factory. I'm building a farm truck but may want to register it for road use one day.