Rear suspension problems. Things seem to be getting worse..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nobodys94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so truck is 1994 x-cab short bed 2500. Belltech flip kit in rear, Belltech shocks and Hellwig sway bar.. Plus c-notch (welded in) All on stock 2500 spring packs, stock shackles and 14 bolt rear end..

I started going over the rear of the truck looking for the problem.... Waiting on the new shocks.. Seems the front shocks still have good rebound but the rears are hurt.. I have been driving the truck to the Doctors office a few times.. Its got a clank in the back I cant find and the pass rear corner is sagging more and more.. Any time crusing between 40 up to 75 mph, hitting the gas makes it feel like the rearend itself is shooting out from under the truck going towards the driver side. U can really feel the rearend come over , kinda unsettling cause it feels like jello..

Surely bad rear shocks is not the cause of everything in the rear.... Even though last week it sounded like something went boom under the bed while cruising down the interstate..

Beginning to wonder if the spring bushing or springs themselves are worn out.. They dont look messed up and look better then most spring bushings I have seen.. Maybe a broken spring in the pack? I am real tempted to get 3500 springs and have new bushings put in them.. Slap on some 2 inch drop shackles.. Cause right now its stock shackles..

My dad is giving me crap, saying I bent the frame when I had the truck loaded down with that 2000# of scrap a few weeks ago... Saying the c-notch needs to be boxed.. I doubt its bent.... There is some body misalignment between the cab and bed on pass side.. I am pretty sure thats the cab mount bushings.

So whats causing this? why is it mooshy and sloppy in the back?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Check for;
#1- Cracks in the inner corners of the 'C' notch.
#2- Broken center pin inside the spring pack.
#3- Spring hangers where they mount to the frame.
#4- Everything else you mentioned.
#5- Broken 'U' bolts. I don't like the way the aftermarket flip kits attach the springs to the rear end, especially if those lower plates are not welded to the housing. If those U bolts are loose, or stretched, things will shift around.
Look for wear/rub marks at mounting points of anything to do with rear end.

That's all I can think of, right now. Another member may have more.

This doesn't sound safe, Boss. I'd really think twice about driving it, till it's fixed.

Nobodys94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got under it today, started with looking for the clanking noise.. Found it, it was the flip kit saddle rattling around due to extremely loose u bolts. U couldnt tell they were lose by trying to move them by hand. The lock nuts werent even seated between the nut and plate.. Also the center bolt on the pass side spring pack was broken.. Which is the side that had the looser u bolts..

Its all fixed now. It was really hard to tell they were loose.