Rear disc brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jess t

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can a later model disc brake setup be adapted to a 92 model 1500 2wd? If so what works?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yea. 10 bolt and9.5 14 shared the same 4 bolt flange. you have a ton of options. people are using metric s10 calipres or eldorado was the first swap. you can swap dual piston 800 burb brakes, 900 brakes. theres a place called cunninham making a caliper bracket that uses stock k1500 front calipers. that would be my recomendation. your cross car depth is what youll need to be concerned about to make sure everything is centered. If you do something youll need to figure out your brake bias as well. stock master and such wont benefit a disc swap. theres always a dozen or so way to fix that issue as well. Search around the forums and facebook for awhile, educate yourself and take a few trips to the junkyard for measurements. its easy once you have a firm understanding.

The other question is why. i properly functioning drum setup has more braking surface area than a disc setup, for most applications its more than enough considering most of your bias isnt the rear.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a hundred ways to swap newer brake parts onto your existing truck. 99 of them result in worse brakes or better "feeling" brakes that don't make emergency stops well. You're going to need to do a lot of research.

Beware that most of our trucks have "quick take-up" calipers and master cylinders that don't mix and match well with "normal" calipers and masters.

Once you get past that hurdle, realize that disc brake calipers use a lot more fluid and pressure than wheel cylinders. Also, the master cylinder to caliper/wheel cylinder ratio needs to be within a usable range.

Here's a good primer:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a hundred ways to swap newer brake parts onto your existing truck. 99 of them result in worse brakes...
Saved me a bunch of typing. THANK YOU!

MOST rear-disc conversions are a money-sucking disaster of piss-poor engineering and ignorance. SOME rear disc conversions are actually done right and make sense. Nobody wants to pay for the "good" conversions.

A "92 model 1500 2wd" is almost certainly going to have the crappy 254mm Leading/Trailing shoe drums. The upgrade to 11.x Duo-Servo rear drums (and the wonderful 9.5" ring gear axle assembly) isn't as easy/inexpensive as with the 4WD trucks...but almost certainly better than the bottom-feeder "flat bracket" disc conversions.

jess t

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
upgrade to 11.x Duo-Servo rear drums
This!!! ....is what I really rather do, but my search for said parts has been fruitless! I have the unusual 1990 SS 454 rear end under my truck already, but of course it has the "crappy Leading/Trailing shoe drums". Can I just buy new backing plates/drums/shoes/hardware for a particular application that will fit the 5 lug axles, bolt to the ends of the axle assembly, and hook to my E brake cables? If so what is that particular application? Suburbans? Police units? 87 down C1500? TIA jess

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
There's a hundred ways to swap newer brake parts onto your existing truck. 99 of them result in worse brakes or better "feeling" brakes that don't make emergency stops well. You're going to need to do a lot of research.

Beware that most of our trucks have "quick take-up" calipers and master cylinders that don't mix and match well with "normal" calipers and masters.

Once you get past that hurdle, realize that disc brake calipers use a lot more fluid and pressure than wheel cylinders. Also, the master cylinder to caliper/wheel cylinder ratio needs to be within a usable range.

Here's a good primer:
And most certainly get the flat conversion bracket...We know how much you like those.

EDIT: I didn't see your follow-up post.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Is this true? I thought this was gone over in another thread and they were different. IIRC it was @df2x4. Maybe I’m wrong.
i mean somehow if they arent then with no struggle at all i put gmt800 suburban dual piston calipers on my semifloat with no hassle whatsoever. h2 brakes on my otherone but that SF to SF so i see hwo that would be easy. spacing is just way different so you have to get the 1320 adapter. else a bunch of other places make the spacer too.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s quite a few posts on forum about this, all indicating it’s a no-go.
@Schurkey points this out in post #25 in this thread:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this true? I thought this was gone over in another thread and they were different. IIRC it was @df2x4. Maybe I’m wrong.

Fairly sure that the five lug (454SS) 9.5" 14 bolt has different brake mounting flanges than the standard 10 bolt. Not sure about other variations...