Rear Brake issues( Drums )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am begining to think the MC is my problem too. you pump the brakes pump with engine off it will get somewhat firm, but take your foot off of it for a second and push it again, it will fall back to the floor. Mine goes to the floor no matter what when running too. I still have decent front brakes when it goes to the floor, but the back ones wont even begin to grab. I am going to go with a MC sometime soon too and see what happens.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be doing mine the first week of sept. so if you haven't done your MC by then I'll let you know how it went lol. if you do yours before let me know if it bled ok and worked.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well got an update for you guys, and still need some help.. I replaced my master cylinder, bled it, also did away with the rwal. Went and got that adapter fitting.. got it all hooked up and my pedal feels EXACTLY the same as it did before. No difference AT ALL. Here is where I am at now. I am STILL getting no flood to the back wheels. So with the idea.. I took off the front brake line that goes to the back wheels off the master cylinder( farthest line from the booster) I was not getting a drop of flood out of it. I was like well what the heck is going on. So then I took off the master cylinder reservoir cap and gasket.. then the brake fluid starting coming out. So I had my dad push the brakes with the front line disconnected and it shot fluid out like it is supposed to. For some reason with the cap and gasket on there it was holding the fluid from coming out.. maybe it is supposed to I do not know. Also.. not sure if when you push the brake pedal if the front reservoir which goes to the back brakes is supposed to shoot up like a fountain too? Only my rear reservoir which is for the front brakes shoots up like a fountain. I am at a loss on what can be the issue. I do not believe the brake booster has any issue with why there is no fluid coming out of the front brake line whether the truck is running or not. Only time I got fluid to come out was when the reservoir gasket and cap was removed. I need some help. getting mad.. lol

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
vacuum was stopping fluid from coming out with the cap on... as designed.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that is what I figured, but why isn't the fluid coming out of the master cylinder when the cap is on and you push the brake!!!!! lol Brand new master cylinder I will repeat.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Yeah, that would strike me as a problem... don't really know how to answer. maybe your res is contaminated and gunked up the master?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine does the exact same.

I can get fluid to the rear however.

My best guess, your brake line is plugged up. Maybe the rear rubber line, maybe one or the other rear end hardline, maybe the main frame hardline, need to blow thru it with it disconnected from the wheel cylinders.

Now for my update...

I changed my MC as well, new one, did the RWAL delete before tho, and bench bled the MC, installed, and have yet to bleed the system I did gravity bleed the back ones, and mine would stop bleeding after a while and I'd have to reinstall the cap and then pull it off to get it going again.

I may work on gravity bleeding them again, all four corners and see until I get a hand bleeding them the old 2 person way.

For me if this doesn't work I'm ordering a new prop. valve for sure.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is a brand new reservoir. It cannot be my brake line because i can disconnect the line from the master cylinder and nothing will come out. Gonna see if i can hunt down a power brake bleeder tommorow and try that

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you said when you had someone push the pedal fluid shot out, and then if you are not getting fluid out back that means the line or something is plugged.