Rear Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSUTony

Reaction score
Question maybe someone can help.
Tried to research a couple of places but have this 1990 Sierra Stepside Manual Stick with the 4.0 V6. The problem is that it has NO limited slip and it's just to easy to loose traction on boat ramps, mud ext. Dont want to change the complete Axle if I don't have too. Has anyone heard of a kit or somekind of rig I can do to have both wheels spin to get more traction
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swap the diff for a g80, posi, LS, or old school way weld the diff... dont advise that since you wont turn normal

Btw you can keep the 10bolt if that's what your concerned about

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a Lockright locker. Haven't priced one in years but I had one in an old 72' K5 I had " wish i still did" . It made a HUGE improvement offroad and you can install it without messing with the ring and pinion. They make a ratcheting sound on corners when you're off the gas. When you hit the gas in a corner, they tend to "straighten" the curve out for you. Pretty cheap, you can install it with normal hand tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Get a Lockright locker. Haven't priced one in years but I had one in an old 72' K5 I had " wish i still did" . It made a HUGE improvement offroad and you can install it without messing with the ring and pinion. They make a ratcheting sound on corners when you're off the gas. When you hit the gas in a corner, they tend to "straighten" the curve out for you. Pretty cheap, you can install it with normal hand tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This ^^^ for ease of install with the best result. Unless your doing some serious off-roading this is probably your best solution. If you are wheeling it more then go with a Detroit No spin (will clank around turns) or a Yukon grizzly locker. If you do decide on a locker get one with a clutch design. I wouldn't advise a welded diff or clutchless design as it will tear your tires up.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1990 Sierra Stepside Manual Stick with the 4.0 V6.
Huh?

The problem is that it has NO limited slip and it's just to easy to loose traction on boat ramps, mud ext. Dont want to change the complete Axle if I don't have too. Has anyone heard of a kit or somekind of rig I can do to have both wheels spin to get more traction
WHAT AXLE DO YOU HAVE? 8.5" "Ten bolt"?

When it was me, I tore the original 8.5" axle out, replaced it with a 9.5" 6-lug axle of the same gear ratio. The replacement axle had G80 "locker".

This is an easier/less expensive deal on 4WD vehicles than 2WD.

The simplest solution is what they're calling a "lunchbox locker"; but I wouldn't waste the time, money, effort, and enthusiasm on an 8.5" "10-bolt" axle. Move up, gain better brakes in the process.