Rear Axle "Repair" Bearing, anyone use these???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
So I replaced rear axle bearings and seals in my k1500 because the one was leaking with the original replacement bearings/seals. I did not see any visual damage to the axle shaft when replacing the bearings but the same one that was leaking before, is leaking again. I seen the rear axle "Repair" bearing while searching on the internet and wanted to know if anyone has used these yet? they look much wider than the original bearings and have a seal attached to the bearing, do you still use the outer seal with these bearings?? Do they seem to be reliable?

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't believe an independent seal is used with the repair bearing, they just rely on the seal attached to the bearing itself you mentioned. The repair bearing is wider so that in the case you have some wear on your axle shaft, the bearing rides on a different location (a fresh spot on the axle, essentially). I changed my bearings and seals a coupe months back, and my axles looked to be in really good condition so I just used standard type bearing and seals from Yukon Gear and Axle, all has been well. I believe the repair bearings you're looking at are plenty reliable, they're just designed to give your axle shafts a second chance at life in the case they are worn from the old bearing rollers. I'm not sure why GM just didn't use an inner bearing race. So it goes. Good luck!

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Repair bearings do have a built in seal. And are not a very good idea if you have a damaged axle because the bearing will ride half way on the damaged part of the axle and halfway on the good virgin part of the shaft, essentially giving you half of the bearing on good shaft. Also putting that sharp lip in the center of the bearing. If you have a perfectly good axle there's definitely no reason to run one. Reputable techs think these should be illegal for these reasons. Not to mention it slightly changes where the axle weight will now lie.