Rear Axle Lift-SOLVED-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, this came across Craigslist in the area today. Check out the rear suspension setup on this thing, it seems to be like what we're all discussing here.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/monster-truck-1997-chevy-71/6651327206.html

@Pighuntin I bet if you text the guy, he would probably send you a picture or two of the rear leaf spring setup he has. That definitely looks like a custom setup. You'd need one hell of a drop mount for that trailer hitch though...

Pighuntin

Reaction score
The air up would be for towing since there would be weight in it. No weight, I would presume that the truck would sit level. I would imagine airing them up without weight would be the look I am trying to get without the airbags. So....in my line of thinking and hopefully on the same page with you, 8" would be more reasonable since there is less angle and stresses on the frame. The airbags would be just used when the truck is under load and towing to keep the headlights from shooting into space. Am I correct into thinking this?

I will see what that CL guy did with his rig and see what he is doing to combat what we are discussing here. Thanks for that link.

Pighuntin

Reaction score
@NightRunner .....to follow up your CL link, I called and texted but never received an answer on either end. The area code is somewhere around the Abilene area. He does have one pic of the rear and while its kinda dark looks like he just plated the rear and moved the shackle bracket down. And all I gotta say about that truck is wow....40" tires....thats way too big even for me, LOL. Here I am deciding on 35s.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
@NightRunner .....to follow up your CL link, I called and texted but never received an answer on either end. The area code is somewhere around the Abilene area. He does have one pic of the rear and while its kinda dark looks like he just plated the rear and moved the shackle bracket down. And all I gotta say about that truck is wow....40" tires....thats way too big even for me, LOL. Here I am deciding on 35s.

I figured it was worth a shot, I'm sure the guy's probably had a lot of people asking about various parts of the truck. It's definitely a custom setup. Lol

Pighuntin

Reaction score
@NightRunner ....Agree. Would of been nice to talk to that person to see what was done and why. I did read he used a D44 P drop front diff. Not that it matters, but I am going with Ford axles to keep lug patterns and wheel widths the same and a driver drop cause they are more readily available.

Waiting on Biggershaft to see what he thinks about 8" lift kit for the truck. I honestly never gave airbags a thought and now that its an idea, I dont need to make the truck higher in the back. I can build it level and use the airbags to combat the squat.