ProSho Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
First thing major I've done in a while. As some of you might know, I bought a new body style (2000+) Dually light bar that goes below the tailgate, inspiration from 88GMCTruck. Install was fairly simple, just gotta have the right tools, and you will see why I said that. First, I found a lot of water in my white corner lens on my driver side, here's what I do for that.

Here you can see it is half full of water.
You must be registered for see images

Remove that lens (assuming you all know how) and grab your smallest drill bit. I do this on all of my clear lenses to prevent fogging from moisture.

No photo, but drill some small holes in the BOTTOM of the lens. Not the top because it won't drain out, I usually do a hole on each side. The holes are so small you can't see them, and the water drained out, already leaving some pre fogging of the inside of the lens.

On to the light bar. $64.00 total from my local GM dealership, and same price with shipping from GMpartsdirect, and I couldn't find it on eBay. I know a scrapyard might have had a dually with it, but I called all of mine and there were no duallys to be found.

I wanted to use the existing plugs, but that wasn't possible because I couldn't get the right size terminal to fit the female end of the plug, I ordered the smallest size from O'reillys and still no luck. So this light bar is hard-wired into my license plate lamp.

Remove tail gate so you can get to the back easier.

You'll want to make a template of the light bar to use for drilling and positioning. Easier than re-measuring over and over. Real easy to make a template, just use some cardboard or paper, push the backs of the bar through it and trace around it.

Use that template and draw yourself some guidelines.

Here's the part I told you about needing the right tools...make sure you have a SHARP large bit to drill the big holes....or you will end up like that burned one...and end up half deaf from the noise. I ended up using a smaller bit to start a hole, and a carbide Dremel bit to widen them. I have the light bar positioned just above where the black plastic (removed for drilling and easier work) would go.

Feed the wire that you have soldered to your light bar through the holes and secure the light bar with the small holes on the end, I used two small screws with nuts to hold the back. Wire that up to your preferred light, in my case the license plate light and it should end up looking something like this.

Black plastic back on

With the tailgate on it is barely visible in the day when it is off, but very visible when it is on. When you open the tailgate there is roughly 3 or 4 centimeters of space between the light and the gate.

Final Verdict: $60 well spent, it looks awesome at night and it makes the truck look wider when it is lit up, plus the uniqueness of having a new style light bar on your OBS truck.

the_six

Reaction score
Do you have any profile pics? Im trying to decied if I want to put a stepside box on my truck and cant find any profile pics of a crew cab stepside.
Thanks

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I had some slight fogging with my corner lights, but not the water buildup like you had. I put a bead of black silicone around the seams and it's solved that problem. I would imagine you could get some clear and do the same thing with yours if you want, no more fogging, ever. Just make sure that they're completely dry inside.

I love the tailgate bar.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I had some slight fogging with my corner lights, but not the water buildup like you had. I put a bead of black silicone around the seams and it's solved that problem. I would imagine you could get some clear and do the same thing with yours if you want, no more fogging, ever. Just make sure that they're completely dry inside.

I love the tailgate bar.

Thanks for the info. I've never had trouble with that before, my passenger side is completely clear and clean. Might have happened when I pressure washed it.

Awesome tailgate bar.

Thanks a lot man! Me too!

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. I always thought flares wouldn't look right on a stepside, boy was I wrong! They look GREAT! I want some for mine!

Sent from my padded cell using Tapatalk 2