Power Inverters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
What are you guys running? I'm thinking about one and just want to know what's best. I don't know if they all plug into the cig lighter, but I'd prefer that it didn't. Mine are crap and work only when they want.

BigV

Reaction score
It depends on what you are going to run with it. Induction motors and transformers don't like running on modified sine wave inverters. They run, just hot and slow.

I have a lot of experience with inverters, mostly for off-grid use. Can't really give any recommendations until I know what you are going to plug in.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Cell phone chargers, work lights, etc...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Inverter? I'm still using a transformer. :rofl:

-Via Mobile-

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Determine your max. load in amps. (Example = 10A x 120V = 1200 watts.) Volts x amps = watts.
Look for a nominal rating of at least that much. Get a good brand such as Samlex, Tripp Lite, or Whistler.
Stay away from the cheapies at Walmart and such places. Don't buy electronics where you buy underwear.
And generally anything over 200 watts should be hard wired.

BigV

Reaction score
In installed one of these Samlex 300 Watt units in a friends Jeep. He is doing pretty much the same. Some chargers that don't have 12v options and some LED work lights.

Trying to run much else is going to REALLY tax your electrical system. Your loads on the inverter are a 10x load on your battery. So a 100w drop light is going to draw 10 amps on your battery. A power drill pulling 2A on the inverter will draw 20A on your battery.

As was previously stated, loose the plug and hard wire. The cig plug was not designed for long term high current. If you want removable use an anderson or powerlet plug instead.