polishing diamond plate tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
hmm, i can roll dimand plate... just wouldnt be right though. we use a mild/medium acid here for removing oxidation.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't use acid if you want it bright. The acid will definitely take the oxidation off, but it will be a MAJOR PITA if you want to polish it. The best stuff I've ever used is "Blue Magic". It will take off the oxidation AND polish the aluminum, plus it has a built in sealer so you won't have to do it all the time. You can get it at any parts store or truck stop. I used it for years on semi rims and hopper bottom trailers with a buffer, turned out like a mirror....you could floss you teeth.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
yeah dont use acid if you want a real bright shine, it will clean off oxidation but if your not careful can take away any possible shine, i like it on dimond plate to easily clean out the little corners.
a rubbing compound will also work good

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I just polished out my rear diamond plate today with the Mothers PowerBall and Mothers Aluminum polish. Turned out great! The sucky part was wiping the polish off and getting between all of the diamonds.

Here's a before and after, the left side is unpolished while the right side is polished.

You must be registered for see images attach

And the whole thing after it is done.

You must be registered for see images attach

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
Ive used all kinds of aluminum polish, the best one of found is the diamond brite polish by better built from lowes home improvement. I use a 6inch buffer to polish it on till the color turns black then wipe it with a clean rag. Polishing is easy but wiping it off is a pita.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I highly HIGHLY suggest "Alumag Chrome" by Wickid Products, found at any truck shop/stop!

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Ive used all kinds of aluminum polish, the best one of found is the diamond brite polish by better built from lowes home improvement. I use a 6inch buffer to polish it on till the color turns black then wipe it with a clean rag. Polishing is easy but wiping it off is a pita.

Ya, the wiping part on that large of an area was a pain for my fingers. lol. I think it's fine, no more polishing on it for a bit.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do NOT use an acid based cleaner. At work we have a "mag aluminum" liquid and it takes the shine literaly right off of the diamond plate and leaves it white colored.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought a powerball mini and some Mother's "mag & aluminum Polish" I will be trying it out on my rims very soon. They are highly oxidized and I don't think they've been polished in about 12 years (I wasn't the original owner). I'll try to post some pics or something when I'm done.