Plus Sized Grandpa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's probably all nasty like mine was too. You can clean it and paint it like the rest of the truck. I didn't bleed anything either, I just refilled the system. The air bubbles will float to the top and pop overnight, just check it the next day and you'll be golden.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Even if it doesn't all bleed out overnight, take the cap off the reservoir, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock slowly a few times and done deal.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Ok. You guys are making me feel like a drama queen.

I think I decided to just cut down the "ram" bolt on my pitman arm puller and have a "stubby" puller. If that does not work I'll just pull the damn thing.

Just feeling a little over this job already being that I have done it in the driveway and in the weather. First time for that in a long time. I'm used to being able to do projects IN the garage where they belong.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. You guys are making me feel like a drama queen.

I think I decided to just cut down the "ram" bolt on my pitman arm puller and have a "stubby" puller. If that does not work I'll just pull the damn thing.

Just feeling a little over this job already being that I have done it in the driveway and in the weather. First time for that in a long time. I'm used to being able to do projects IN the garage where they belong.

If you pull this maneuver off promise you will take pictures--I wanna see it........

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Getting close. Reassembly tomorrow.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kinda gave up on cleaning the diff more. I'm out of time on this project. But its gonna be clean all the same.

Did pinion and output shaft seal as well as a new breather vent cap for the front diff.. the fluid inside was abysmal. Really bad.

New oil filter on. Running some new loom and tidying up some wiring. As well as installing some of the big 3 I have ready.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Weirdly the AC Delco seal i got for the drivers side output shaft seal was of a completely different design than the one I tool out? But it fit dimensionally in both respects so said screw it.

Also, anyone know what this freaking plug is for? Has not been plugged in since I got the truck. Hangs down by the steering gear. Not a long pigtail. Cannot find a damn sensor/connector for it!

Tomorrow is pitman arm and reassembly.

Probably will not get the rear done tomorrow as well but we will see.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Plug looks like EVO, that plugs into the pump. If the steering acts weird, there's a sensor on the coumn inside to replace.

That's an early style seal. In mid 97 they changed the seal design and the outputs in the diff itself. On my dually the input shaft and seal was different in the rear too. Early seal on a late diff should be OK. Late seal on early diff no, I tried and failed. Learned the hard way because I have a new actuator housing on an old pig on my 1500 so each side takes a different seal.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Plug looks like EVO, that plugs into the pump. If the steering acts weird, there's a sensor on the coumn inside to replace.

That's an early style seal. In mid 97 they changed the seal design and the outputs in the diff itself. On my dually the input shaft and seal was different in the rear too. Early seal on a late diff should be OK. Late seal on early diff no, I tried and failed. Learned the hard way because I have a new actuator housing on an old pig on my 1500 so each side takes a different seal.

You are a veritable font of gmt400 knowledge amigo. Thanks

On the pitman arm, does one just torque on the splined arm on installation? I'm engaged on the nut all the way but don't have many exposed threads. And it is on tight. The one I removed had a quarter inch or so of exposed threads.