Paint guys get in here! I gotz questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I would scuff it with something heavier than a scotchbrite. Something between 320-400 grit sandpaper is what I'd use. Wait about 12 hours for the paint to cure, and use the tack rag. Then apply your clear, wet sand, clear, etc...

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would scuff it with something heavier than a scotchbrite. Something between 320-400 grit sandpaper is what I'd use. Wait about 12 hours and use the tack rag. Then apply your clear, wet sand, clear, etc...

Wait 12 hours for what? Base coat will be dry in 20 mins max unless its mixed thick and sprayed Thick which it shouldn't be.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would scuff it with something heavier than a scotchbrite. Something between 320-400 grit sandpaper is what I'd use. Wait about 12 hours for the paint to cure, and use the tack rag. Then apply your clear, wet sand, clear, etc...

I'm not to the clear stage yet. I have to put on another coat or 2 of paint and i need to blend into the spot where a ran out......

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that you're not going to hurt anything waiting the 12 hours (sometimes more) between base and clear. The label should tell you how long to wait. Ya, you'll probably be fine waiting 15-30 min and shooting the clear. It's all dependent on temp, humidity, gun, etc. I just don't like to get in a hurry when doing it.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that you're not going to hurt anything waiting the 12 hours (sometimes more) between base and clear. The label should tell you how long to wait. Ya, you'll probably be fine waiting 15-30 min and shooting the clear. It's all dependent on temp, humidity, gun, etc. I just don't like to get in a hurry when doing it.

I'm gonna talk with the paint guy tomorrow and see what he says about curing times and re coating and stuff but what ya think about this......

http://www.howtopaintcars.com/225/w...of-base-color-coat-in-the-middle-of-a-job.php

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
That sounds pretty good. You can use a rough scotch brite and be fine. I just like being over cautious when scuffing it so that it sticks. Since you're putting on at least one more coat either way will work. You're just trying to give the paint something to adhere to. Either a rough scotchbrite or 400 grit sandpaper will be fine, especially if you're putting 2 more coats on.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds pretty good. You can use a rough scotch brite and be fine. I just like being over cautious when scuffing it so that it sticks. Since you're putting on at least one more coat either way will work. You're just trying to give the paint something to adhere to. Either a rough scotchbrite or 400 grit sandpaper will be fine, especially if you're putting 2 more coats on.

You sure 400 won't be to course?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I don't think so. Here's some food for thought if you want to use the 3M Scotch Brite pads. The first one is what I would use. The gray might be a bit too fine since it's more for polishing. I'm sitting right next to both the 400 grit and the maroon scotch brite pads (right in the middle of course/fine), as well as some 600 (way too fine), and the 400 doesn't feel as "bitey" as the scotch brite. Either way you're not trying to sand through it, just scuff it to get adhesion. Get some of both and see what YOU like better.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...WPgs_KRQZ85D8VM_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/..._US&plmlblid=1273696351712&rt=d&sorttype=list