I Gotta Know!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After running shops for 35+ years and working on the side for more, I have had to tell many customers what they did not want to hear and then I was the bad guy and I took it on the chin for my techs. Unreal expectations are the worst. I have had kids come in to my shops and my house wanting to go fast. I stated that a complete safety inspection would be done first. What????? I told them that if their brakes/steering/suspension and cooling system was not up to par, I was not gonna touch it till they were. Too many times I got back, "what do you know old man"! Here at home, I have retired but work on the side for extra money. I pick and choose what I work on. Recent recommendation was for a friend of a friend. 1999 Yukon. Poor heat inside. Cooling system was low and water pump leaking and heater control valve clamps were loose. Did the infra red temp check after filling system and getting hot. 195 degrees going in to heater core and 140 degrees coming out. Clogged heater core too. I told him I would do the water pump and thermo and tighten the heater valve clamps but at my age I was not gonna lay under dash and do the heater core. He said he had a guy for that. I did the work. All was good and pressure tested fine. With my military discount, I saved him a total of $85 on parts. 2 weeks later and he says heat is still too cool but is better. He came over. 198 degrees in to the heater core and 195 degrees coming out. I told him my work checks good. For me to go further would be more diagnostics. He got mad. I said too bad. I said is likely an actuator for a blend door or control head problem. He was still mad. I told him to have the heater core guy recheck his work. Found loose "something" at back of control head. He called to tell me this and apologize. I said thanks. He asked for more work and I said NO. He gets mad. I said too bad. He swears will tell everyone he knows. I said go ahead and make up whatever story you want. I talked to my friend that recommended him to me. He set the guy straight and again asked if I would work on the Yukon. I said "not no but hell no"! My friend was fine with it. Never heard from the guy again.
Yeah F that guy. :321:He’s showed his hand already.