OS34500R pan gasket - Is this going to be a problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT80

Reaction score
Seeing as you admitted your inexperience in smallblock Chevy teardown, I'll explain: The front of the smallblock has dowel pins that line up the gasket and the timing cover. Then the oil pan gasket goes on with 2 small dabs of RTV at the contact points.
Still not really sure where these dowel pins are but I guess I'll figure it out.....
Maybe the fact that it's a 1998 Vortec 350 with a plastic timing cover makes a difference??

97gmctx

Reaction score
Im currently in the middle of doing the same job. 1997 gmc vortec 5.7
Replaced the timing cover, timing chain and sprockets, and currently doing the oil pan gasket. I was under the impression that i was only going to need RTV sealant between the plastic timing cover and the pan gasket (the U in the front) but after doing some more research, i learned i have to apply some in the corners both in the front and the back. The fel pro gasket i used came with those snap ups which would be super useful but they didnt fit in the bolt holes for my pan gasket. (10 mm)
So come Saturday im pulling the pan back off and hopefully finishing up this job so i can get my truck back on the road.