OS34500R pan gasket - Is this going to be a problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT80

Reaction score
I think I remember seeing a review on one of the parts sites where someone saw a similar issue and had nothing but leaks afterwards. I don't want leaks after all this work. Has anyone else noticed this at the front of the pan with the Felpro OS34500R gasket? It fits fine at the rear, and I could understand needing a little compression, but this seems excessive. Yep, it's seated as far as it'll go into the U. When I press it down it buckles.

Attachments

• IMG_5735.jpg
    IMG_5735.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

GT80

Reaction score
This wasn't the review I had read, but another one saying the same thing. After 5 minutes running, puddle of oil.

Attachments

• oilpangasket.JPG
    oilpangasket.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 10

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I've been selling that one for over 25 years and never a problem. Put 4 dabs of silicone 1/8" thick in the corners top and bottom without letting it skin over and you're in. I like to use gasgacinch as well.

GT80

Reaction score
You've never dismantled a smallblock before, huh?
Only SBF. I've had the 302 in my 88 Mustang on the stand stripped almost down to the bare block. Kind of a smartass comment really. The reason I asked is I can replace the timing cover without replacing the oil pan gasket, right? And I can replace the oil pan gasket without replacing the timing cover, right? So which is best? But what Frank said above makes sense, that the timing cover makes the pan gasket seat properly, and going that route helps me since I have been in a holding pattern waiting on the oil pump. So thanks, Frank.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you figured it own. Let us know how it turns out or if you have any more questions.

Don't take it personal. @Nad_Yvalhosert is a professional, so his perspective is different than ours, but he offers really good advice.

Now that I think about it, we should have like a level of experience in our Avatar. Some guys here are really experienced, some are pros, some are learning (like me), and some are just clueless (also me!) :confused:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only SBF. I've had the 302 in my 88 Mustang on the stand stripped almost down to the bare block. Kind of a smartass comment really. The reason I asked is I can replace the timing cover without replacing the oil pan gasket, right? And I can replace the oil pan gasket without replacing the timing cover, right? So which is best? But what Frank said above makes sense, that the timing cover makes the pan gasket seat properly, and going that route helps me since I have been in a holding pattern waiting on the oil pump. So thanks, Frank.

So, you didnt read what I wrote in the paragraph just above what you quoted? And what @Frank Enstein restated...
Here, I'll copy and paste:

The timing cover has the gasket land for the pan gasket.

Seeing as you admitted your inexperience in smallblock Chevy teardown, I'll explain: The front of the smallblock has dowel pins that line up the gasket and the timing cover. Then the oil pan gasket goes on with 2 small dabs of RTV at the contact points.

GT80

Reaction score
Thank you. I appreciate the insight. I know the timing cover has the land for the oil pan gasket. What I didn't realize was the importance the timing cover played in locating the oil pan gasket. Frank's reply was more descriptive to me.