Original GM gearbox vs aftermarket, which is better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Consider having a specialty shop do the rebuild. I used TurnOne in Saginaw, the guys there used to work for GM Steering Gear. Their shop is literally across the street from Nexteer (formerly Steering Gear).

They're not a "race only" kind of place, although that's what their WWWsite might suggest.

I paid $340 for a rebuild of my K1500 Suburban's gear late last year, haven't installed it yet :)

The better way to reach them IMHO is at 989-759-4206 and leave a message (they're typically busy, it's a small shop) and they'll get back to you.

Directions: Heading north on I-75 from Flint, exit Saginaw at highway 46, then east about a 3/4
These guys are 5mi from me. I have been looking for an alternative of getting a ****** reman, I'll give them a call.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a Delco reman from RockAuto and it was very tight. Then it blew a seal and dumped everything while in a camping trip with only 100 miles on the box. Luckily I had not sent my core in yet. I got my money back from Rock and bought an O'Reilly unit which was sloppier than I would have liked but has held up for several years.
Time was a major factor for me otherwise I would have bought a Readhead or Blue Top. Those are easily 3x as expensive as the O'Reilly unit though.
The "right way" to do the box is to replace the pump at the same time. The warranty might even require it.

azmikep

Reaction score
Benchworks Steering
Talk to Pat
Tell him AZ/FL Mike with 1990 GMC sent you.
Check out his Reviews. Guy is amazing.
+1 (480) 946-3992
3031 N 70th St, Scottsdale, AZ 85251

Benchwork Steering Systems

(480) 946-3992 https://g.co/kgs/2hkygs

Benchwork Steering Systems

(480) 946-3992 https://g.co/kgs/2hkygs

I paid $240 for better then factory specs
$209 for 12::1 ratio worm gear vrs 14::1 from factory
$80 shipping from AZ to FL

His reviews speak for themselves.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
im fortunate to work at GM tech center, i bought the "new" its a reman box. same as cardone and everyone else. it sucked. to a point where i had my AC Delco rep in chare of the boxes come out, watch me replace it in his parking lot (which he was impressed a blue collar desk job 28 yr old would do) make sure i didnt install it wrong and then see how trash it was. If i were you id pick up a rebuild kit and a junkyard box and rebuild one to your liking.