OEM part number; original vs replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the alignment was checked after.
IF it was on an alignment rack for a check they would have certainly noticed the wheel off center. It's part of the process. Totally common to have to correct the alignment/center wheel when replacing sloppy wore out parts and totally unreasonable to think you shouldn't have to. An alignment check is not an alignment.

I have the updated version(Moog) on my 92. The fitment was fine and it got aligned after.

You only paid for half the job, and got half the results. I think you chose who did the job and called it leeway because most shops would not have touched it without an alignment also being part of the job.

Last edited:

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was everything square and straight before you changed the idler arm? Did you compare the parts before installation?
Yes, it was perfect;
The mechanic that replaced the idler arm (he was doing an insurance safety inspection for me) told me that the design had changed from the original (twenty one year old) part that he removed, and that was why the steering is clocked slightly different.

Many of these replies seem to miss the fact that we are talking about a component which connects to the centerlink which is a revised design from the way the truck was built, and last aligned.

If it was on an alignment rack for a check they would have certainly noticed the wheel off center. It's part of the process. Totally common to have to correct the alignment/center wheel when replacing sloppy wore out parts and totally unreasonable to think you shouldn't have to. An alignment check is not an alignment.

I have the updated version(Moog) on my 92. The fitment was fine and it got aligned after.

You only paid for half the job, and got half the results. I think you chose who did the job and called it leeway because most shops would not have touched it without an alignment also being part of the job.
It was not on an alignment rack.
The mechanic that did this for me only has a small shop, and would have had to send it out for a proper alignment, something I did not want - in part because around here at least alignment shops don't want to touch your alignment unless new tie rods ends are installed (probably so they don't have to deal with rusted components and chance breaking anything).
To be amply clear, I never paid for an alignment, as a part of the saftey, the alignment was checked - not corrected for the different design idler arm.
You are correct, most shops would have required that more parts be replaced, and it get realigned - I was hoping to avoid this.

I could realign it myself, but what would be ALOT less work is to find an original design center link (GM or aftermarket) and re-replace it with the same design part that the truck originally had - that would be two bolts, and one nut.
That's what I'd really like to do.

You don't understand alignments.
Do you have any idea how much of an idiot keyboard warrior you come off with that statement?

I'm not twelve, but thanks for your condescension.

The idler arm--in good condition--has NOTHING to do with where the steering wheel points when the wheels are straight-ahead.
Unless the idler arm is a revised design - and it re-clocks the center link.

I digress, we've gotten off track here...

One of the main purposes from creating this thread was to know how to identify the original part (and aftermarket parts based off the original design) from the replacement part.

I am going to have to guess that no one can tell me what precisely changed (eg: offset of joint, or length of arm) and go back to looking this up myself - too bad I just missed out on one.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, so you actually think the GM revised idler arm is actually a bad design AND since it’s revision(and the 1000’s and 1000’s sold and installed) you have figured out it’s actually a bad redesign??? And no one else has noticed this!

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
where did I say that?

I have no doubt that the design was changed, then after the original part was (as pink suggested) ten years old, the second version superceded the first one.
GM does this all the time.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to follow this. Because you want an original design that you feel doesn’t clock the steering wheel, which is the current one on there now. Can you give the brand and part # that is currently installed? If you already did I missed that.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the aftermarket one was not made correctly, as in the wrong length, it would have most certainly shown up in the toe which you're jumping up and down was perfect after it was installed.

From what I get the truck hasn't been aligned since it was built from the factory so that means everything else under there is 21 years old and probably has some slop.

It's doubtful an exact duplicate of the old design fixes the issue.

This whole exercise is turning into stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the aftermarket one was not made correctly, as in the wrong length, it would have most certainly shown up in the toe which you're jumping up and down was perfect after it was installed.

From what I get the truck hasn't been aligned since it was built from the factory so that means everything else under there is 21 years old and probably has some slop.

I guarantee an exact duplicate of the old design doesn't fix the issue either.

This whole exercise is turning into stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.
Hipster that’s why I’m trying to figure out exactly what part was installed as that could be the issue.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please allow me to clarify;

When I bought my truck it had an original design (and probably the original built-with) idler arm in place;
This truck is incredibly low mileage, and has had the alignmnet done, and service parts installed in the past;
When I got the truck saftied, it had a replacement design idler arm installed.

There is nothing wrong with either design idler arm, but going from one to the other would generally require correcting the alignment for the different part.

I was hoping to know what identifies an original part from a replacement part so that I could buy an obsolete/original design part, and install that to avoid re-visiting my alignment.

I believe that the key numbers are the GM ones that Mr Pink quoted in post #2
1st design 26016461*
2nd design 26059031**

* = if I have understood correctly this is a 1988-1992 part.
** = if I have understood correctly this is a 1993-2000 part.

The brand shouldn't matter since aftermarket parts would be based off of GM specifications.

Safties aside, I do all my own service work.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hipster that’s why I’m trying to figure out exactly what part was installed as that could be the issue.
It's possible there's a problem with the part but it would have shown up in the alignment check he says was done.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please allow me to clarify;

When I bought my truck it had an original design (and probably the original built-with) idler arm in place;
This truck is incredibly low mileage, and has had the alignmnet done, and service parts installed in the past;
When I got the truck saftied, it had a replacement design idler arm installed.

There is nothing wrong with either design idler arm, but going from one to the other would generally require correcting the alignment for the different part.

I was hoping to know what identifies an original part from a replacement part so that I could buy an obsolete/original design part, and install that to avoid re-visiting my alignment.

I believe that the key numbers are the GM ones that Mr Pink quoted in post #2
1st design 26016461*
2nd design 26059031**

* = if I have understood correctly this is a 1988-1992 part.
** = if I have understood correctly this is a 1993-2000 part.

The brand shouldn't matter since aftermarket parts would be based off of GM specifications.

Safties aside, I do all my own service work.
1st design 26016461* The original was a 2 piece design, I believe the revised design is of a non-seperable one piece design. both with 2 hole frame bracket.

2nd design 26059031 does not apply and is not the superceeded part as it's for 93 up and has a 3 hole mounting flange. A completely different design that won't bolt up to your frame.

I see 2 original bolt together style 26016461's on ebay for $140 each. Getcha one!

Last edited: