Original GM gearbox vs aftermarket, which is better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Truck

Reaction score
Need to replace gear box on my 95 c3500 CCLB, I have a lead on a new GM 26087034 steering gear box. Would this be better than an after market one from NAPA, Orielly or AutoZone? The GM was discontinued to 2005/2006 timeframe.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Need to replace gear box on my 95 c3500 CCLB, I have a lead on a new GM 26087034 steering gear box. Would this be better than an after market one from NAPA, Orielly or AutoZone? The GM was discontinued to 2005/2006 timeframe.

It's still a reman, according to what I'm seeing. It may be a good purchase, but it may not.... I'd pursue it, but not at a premium price. The ACdelco box I bought around 2012/2014 was rebuilt in Mexico and has been a slowly getting sloppier.... I noticed it a few years ago, but since I'm not driving the truck much now, I haven't done anything about it.

It might be ok, since it's pre-2008. I'd just be a bit leery paying a ton, if it's bad and there's no warranty, then you've got a very expensive core.

Now, if it's surplus from some company and is going cheap... yes, buy it. I've gotten parts like that at a local auction house.... OEM brake shoes, PS pumps, hydroboost. I think they were fleet spares and the truck/trucks got replaced, and made the parts surplus and basically worthless to the company.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
The 26087034 is a reman, part not new like has been said. It is done to the same standards as any remanufactured part. If you can get it cheaper than anywhere else go for it, if not go with a different brand.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Whole lot of remanufactured parts these days being advertised like they're new. It's misleading and the difference in quality is often significant.

Richard

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider having a specialty shop do the rebuild. I used TurnOne in Saginaw, the guys there used to work for GM Steering Gear. Their shop is literally across the street from Nexteer (formerly Steering Gear).

They're not a "race only" kind of place, although that's what their WWWsite might suggest.

I paid $340 for a rebuild and spool valve tweak of my K1500 Suburban's gear late last year, haven't installed it yet :)

The better way to reach them IMHO is at 989-759-4206 and leave a message (they're typically busy, it's a small shop) and they'll get back to you.

Directions: Heading north on I-75 from Flint, exit Saginaw at highway 46, then east about a 3/4mi.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any thoughts on a NOS part?
Depends. NOS can simply mean it's brand new in the box. Doesn't necessarily mean it's an original, manufactured-new GM part from years ago. It could easily be a reman that has just sat around on the shelf for a few years.

Does the seller have the packaging? If it's a GM box then odds are good it's a genuine NOS part. If it says AC Delco on it.. it's gonna be a reman.

Be careful that you're buying from a genuine source. Lots of scammers out there happy to provide you with pictures and everything, that they just lifted off the web.

Richard