OEM part number; original vs replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone with access to this kind of information might be able to offer me some help.

I got my truck (1992 Chev K1500) saftied after buying it;
There was play in the idler arm, and it needed to be replaced.
I got this done by an old friends dad - because he has leaway that a shop might not have;
H replaced the idler arm with an aftermarket one, and told me the design had changed from the original part;
The alignment wasn't touched because everything else was perfect... except the steering wheel doesn't point straight when the wheels do.

I'd like to remedy this.

I acquired in the past year a master parts catalogue printed when my truck was new, and found the original idler arm;
group 6.895
part: 26016461

Can anyone tell me if there is a GM superseded part number for the same part (meaning no revisions, or a later/earlier part superseding the original one for my truck.

I am seeing some different part numbers that Ihave to presume interchange with the OEM part on Rockauto, but interchange doesn't necissarily mean that it's exactly the same.

Maybe someone here knows what to look for in the difference between the original part, or some later replacement part.

I found one NOS idler arm on eBay, but the seller will not ship to me (I'm in Canada), so I am left looking at other GM NOS parts, and all have different numbers...

I'd rather replace the idler arm, than re-align - hopefully someone reading this will empathize with me.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did a design change on those and the 26016461 has been discontinued and removed from all aftermarket and OEM sources since 2002. It was replaced by the updated design of the 1993-2000 # 26059031.

First, Thank you for replying.

Forgive my ignorance, but were you trying to be funny on some level?

If not, who is "we"?

Can you tell me the physical difference between those teo part numbers?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an alignment is all you need, which is good practice whenever replacing a component in the front suspension... although I don't always follow that advice myself :)

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If not, who is "we"?

If I’m not mistaken, Mr Pink works for GM.
The part was probably updated with a minor but better design, not too much different. I also agree it sounds like an alignment is needed.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the alignment is nuts on, but to keep it simple, the revised design idler arm clocks the wheel;
the alignment was checked after.
The only item that would warrant a re-alignment is the fact that the steering wheel isn't pointed straight when the wheels are.

an alignment is straight labor that I'd really prefer to not have to pay;
and I have successfully done old school alignments on my vehicles in the past, but in those intances, it was because I was replacing tie rods - they are perfect right now.

Thank you for your replies :)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't understand alignments.

The idler arm--in good condition--has NOTHING to do with where the steering wheel points when the wheels are straight-ahead.

If the steering wheel isn't straight when the wheels are, either something is bent, something is installed improperly, something is worn-out, or the tie rod ends need adjusting.

Adjusting the tie rod ends to straighten the steering wheel is part of a normal wheel alignment. It's an integral part of getting proper toe. In other words, toe can be correct yet the steering wheel is offset right or left. Correction would involve lengthening the tie rods on one side, and shortening the tie rods on the other--maintains proper toe, while moving the wheel in the desired direction.

The third thing to think about is the center-point of the steering gear. PROPER alignment gets the steering gear centered, the steering wheel centered, and the wheels "straight ahead" with proper toe. All three need to be correct.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was everything square and straight before you changed the idler arm? Did you compare the parts before installation?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score

If not, who is "we"?

See quote below. With this part being so old i do not have prints of the original design anymore.
If I’m not mistaken, Mr Pink works for GM.
The part was probably updated with a minor but better design, not too much different. I also agree it sounds like an alignment is needed.
That is correct, I am a performance and accessories engineer for GM.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See quote below. With this part being so old i do not have prints of the original design anymore.

That is correct, I am a performance and accessories engineer for GM.
And that’s good enough for me! :headbang: