opinions please, i bought a truck now looking at another...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zchrisz

Reaction score
i bought a 1990 k1500 sport 5.7 4x4 z71 245k miles currently, engine/tranny and transfer case were swapped out, truck runs great, regular cab short bed onyx black exterior red interior, my girlfriend hates the interior and there is no extra space (extended cab), i've done a few fixes to it, and i came across another truck but i'm unsure now if i would be happy swapping trucks.

the one i'm going to look at it a 1998 gmc sierra 4x4 extended cab short bed, looks in great shape, it has the 5.0 motor though 212k miles on it original motor and transmission it has 4x4 decals on the back, not sure if it's a z71 optioned truck.

i'm not sure if i'd be happy with the vortec 305 over the tbi 350.

opinions?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I think the vortex 305 has more get up and Gotham a TBI 350. I may be wrong though. I own the TBI 350 too. And I doubt it's a z71 if it has the 4x4 stickers.
Edit: vortec... Stupid autocorrect

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
i bought a 1990 k1500 sport 5.7 4x4 z71 245k miles currently, engine/tranny and transfer case were swapped out, truck runs great, regular cab short bed onyx black exterior red interior, my girlfriend hates the interior and there is no extra space (extended cab), i've done a few fixes to it, and i came across another truck but i'm unsure now if i would be happy swapping trucks.

the one i'm going to look at it a 1998 gmc sierra 4x4 extended cab short bed, looks in great shape, it has the 5.0 motor though 212k miles on it original motor and transmission it has 4x4 decals on the back, not sure if it's a z71 optioned truck.

i'm not sure if i'd be happy with the vortec 305 over the tbi 350.

opinions?

Have not had alot of experience with the vortec 305 but the tbi 350 will blow it away as far as low end torque, dad had a truck with a 305 in it and he put a 350 cam in it. According to him gm should have never put a 305 in a truck its just not enough motor for them, so if you plan to use it for more than just a dd i'd avoid it, thats just my 2 cents :shrug:

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Don't worry about the z71 option.. all it was is stickers and shocks. Stickers you can add and the shocks should have already been replaced.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
My opinion is, if you like the 90, keep it. When my fiancé complains about my truck, I tell her to eat a d!ck and walk if she don't like it. :shrug:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've had vehicles with 305's. Me & my buds call 'em 3-oh-yawns. They don't make a lot o' torque. By 4200rpm, they're outa breath & not making a whole lot of power after that, if any at all.
305's never had 4 bolt mains. Most original 350's I've seen in trucks, do.
Everything that you've learned about 350's gets thrown out the window when working in a 305. The stroke that they have doesn't take kindly to performance cams. They work better with 'mild'. Nothing much more than an R.V. cam.
Not saying that they're total crap. There's a bazillion of them out there that do just fine, but just as far as a performance base, I find them to be a bit lacking.
Apologies to you guys that own 'em! Just my opinions.

zchrisz

Reaction score
i'm going to test drive it and find out, i haul stuff, wood pellets etc, the tbi 350 has no problem with hills and a ton of pellets in the back, i'll let you know. i have a tpi 305 in my camaro that's supercharged it puts out 420 ft/lbs to the wheels, but i agree a 305 should have never been put in a truck.