I bought a mystery truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mysterytruck

Reaction score
I bought a truck.

It was on craigslist for $2500 - Chevy 3500, 1-ton suspension, crew cab, flat deck, power tailgate, 300, 000 kms.

I'm a carpenter and was looking for a flatbed for work. The wife and I went to take a look.

Hasty oversprayed white paint job, filthy, no keys (flathead), 450k on odometer.

She started beautifully though. I gave him 2k for it after I confirmed it wasn't stolen.

She's clearly a company truck judging from complete lack of bells and whistles and colour of old paint, but I refuse to believe rhe engine is original, as it's so well balanced.

My problem is that I have no idea what parts will fit on her - I'm looking for new doors, steering column, blower motor, etc..

Can any of you guys tell me anything about my truck?

Attachments

• 20231121_074423.jpg
    20231121_074423.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231103_130520.jpg
    20231103_130520.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231103_130520.jpg
    20231103_130520.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 21

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it's a 94+ truck. The earlier 88-93 had slightly different inner structures. So you would want doors that match the ones you have so the door panels fit with no hassle.
Lots of people use rock auto for replacement parts. But if you have a NAPA or Bumper to Bumper around you, they should be able to find what you need.
And welcome from the province to your right....and from a fellow carpenter!!! Lol

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Crew cab cab and chassis trucks are kinda rare....but the majority of it is standard one ton parts. The doors from any Suburban or crew cab , '95-up, will fit, and Burbs usually have power locks and windows. Definitely nice upgrades! You will need to get the appropriate wiring harness to make those goodies work though. I think that is the same for Burbs and crew cabs (thankfully haven't had to tear my boys down that far yet!).
The Hummer wheels are a nice catch!
Which engine do you have? 7.4(454) is better for hauling, but the 5.7(350) does fine as long as you're not moving lots of weight. I've had my crew cab one ton loaded up, and pulling a trailer; we were probably at or near 10K total weight, truck, trailer, loads and 3 adults, and my truck did great.

mysterytruck

Reaction score
Looks like it's a 94+ truck. The earlier 88-93 had slightly different inner structures. So you would want doors that match the ones you have so the door panels fit with no hassle.
Lots of people use rock auto for replacement parts. But if you have a NAPA or Bumper to Bumper around you, they should be able to find what you need.
And welcome from the province to your right....and from a fellow carpenter!!! Lol

Thanks! I'll call those up and see what they say. I've been looking at wreckers mostly and things are hard to come by. I've had them say things like "they have doors for a yukon which may be similar," but I don't know what trucks would be a match.

My wife and I are actually actively looking to move to Alberta next year, maybe I'll see ya on a site!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll call those up and see what they say. I've been looking at wreckers mostly and things are hard to come by. I've had them say things like "they have doors for a yukon which may be similar," but I don't know what trucks would be a match.

My wife and I are actually actively looking to move to Alberta next year, maybe I'll see ya on a site!
Lots of work here.....Dow Chemical just announced a 10 Billion dollar expansion. 8000 workers, 5 years of work.

I would think the Yukon doors would fit with no issues. But your truck looks like a W/T so most likely has no power windows or locks. As @HotWheelsBurban stated, usually the wiring is run, just have to find the harnesses.

mysterytruck

Reaction score
Crew cab cab and chassis trucks are kinda rare....but the majority of it is standard one ton parts. The doors from any Suburban or crew cab , '95-up, will fit, and Burbs usually have power locks and windows. Definitely nice upgrades! You will need to get the appropriate wiring harness to make those goodies work though. I think that is the same for Burbs and crew cabs (thankfully haven't had to tear my boys down that far yet!).
The Hummer wheels are a nice catch!
Which engine do you have? 7.4(454) is better for hauling, but the 5.7(350) does fine as long as you're not moving lots of weight. I've had my crew cab one ton loaded up, and pulling a trailer; we were probably at or near 10K total weight, truck, trailer, loads and 3 adults, and my truck did great.
Power doors and windows would be sick! I'd love to find a matching steering column and doors of any kind as I currently have no key and can't lock my tools up.

The wiring is a mess too - I had my blower wired directly to the battery and on a switch til it blew two days ago, rolling around with windows down now to keep the window from fogging up, haha.

What are hummer wheels? I was surprised to see that the tires are the same size and rating as the ones on my tacoma.

Near as I can tell (carpenter), it's a 5.7. Hauled lots of concrete last week and a trailer up and down a mountain before that. VIN number says GVRW is 9000 lbs.

I love driving it, honestly. It's like a time machine with the bench seats and whatnot.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Lots of work here.....Dow Chemical just announced a 10 Billion dollar expansion. 8000 workers, 5 years of work.

I would think the Yukon doors would fit with no issues. But your truck looks like a W/T so most likely has no power windows or locks. As @HotWheelsBurban stated, usually the wiring is run, just have to find the harnesses.
Yukon rear doors are too short on the bottom, just like Tahoe doors. They both have the cutout on the rear corners for the wheelwells.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Knowing the year and engine size will be important for buying parts. Post the VIN from the dashboard tag and that will be the most reliable source to get info. Things may have been swapped over the years with any of these old trucks but at least we'll have a starting point to work from.

From what I can barely see through the pic it appears to be a 1997-up, if the dashboard goes all the way across to the passenger side with a rectangular "cubby" compartment instead of a dip with 2 nearly useless shallow cupholders (1995-1996.)

Richard

mysterytruck

Reaction score

Yeah, seems like a better fit for us - lots of work, reasonable property prices and lots of camping/hunting/fishing, etc.

mysterytruck

Reaction score
Knowing the year and engine size will be important for buying parts. Post the VIN from the dashboard tag and that will be the most reliable source to get info. Things may have been swapped over the years with any of these old trucks but at least we'll have a starting point to work from.

From what I can barely see through the pic it appears to be a 1997-up, if the dashboard goes all the way across to the passenger side with a rectangular "cubby" compartment instead of a dip with 2 nearly useless shallow cupholders (1995-1996.)

Richard
Thanks Richard!

The vin is 1gbgc33r6xf059664. Im almost positive the engine has been swapped out and I don't know yet how to identify exactly what it is.

Found some more pics for what it's worth - obligatory dogs, work trucking and being parked in the ditch last month up north (gonna switch the tires out asap).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231130_185535_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_185535_Gallery.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231130_185515_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_185515_Gallery.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231130_184655_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_184655_Gallery.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231130_184631_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_184631_Gallery.jpg