I bought a mystery truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That decodes to a 1999 C3500 (C meaning 2WD), 5.7 engine. The 1GB prefix is built in USA, Chevrolet division, "incomplete vehicle" meaning a chassis cab truck that came from the factory without a bed installed, so that an aftermarket upfitter might install any number of various work beds. It came from the Flint, MI plant.

Coming with a 5.7 that's probably what it still has, because if one were to go bad, by far the easiest to source/install would be another 5.7. If you post a pic of the engine it should be easy to identify. It may even still be the original as the Vortec 5.7 can go several hundred thousand miles if not outright abused.

The catch with yours being a 1999 is that's 2nd year for them to have the Passlock antitheft system. As you can see it's not stopping you from starting it with a screwdriver.. because there's a resistor module set in the tumbler that is "read" when you turn the tumbler over (with key, or screwdriver, or frozen small dead animal paw, etc.) vs. some of the older systems you may have seen with the "chip" visible on the key itself. For you to retain functionality of the system (ex. start the truck when you need it to) you'll need a tumbler/key set meant for a 1998-1999 GMT400 model. The resistor in the new tumbler will need to be learned into the system once you install it, or the engine will simply start then immediately stall each time you crank it, as the antitheft system will kick in.

You can have the tumblers in your door locks re-keyed easily by any locksmith to match the key for your new ignition tumbler.

Richard

mysterytruck

Reaction score
That decodes to a 1999 C3500 (C meaning 2WD), 5.7 engine. The 1GB prefix is built in USA, Chevrolet division, "incomplete vehicle" meaning a chassis cab truck that came from the factory without a bed installed, so that an aftermarket upfitter might install any number of various work beds. It came from the Flint, MI plant.

Coming with a 5.7 that's probably what it still has, because if one were to go bad, by far the easiest to source/install would be another 5.7. If you post a pic of the engine it should be easy to identify. It may even still be the original as the Vortec 5.7 can go several hundred thousand miles if not outright abused.

The catch with yours being a 1999 is that's 2nd year for them to have the Passlock antitheft system. As you can see it's not stopping you from starting it with a screwdriver.. because there's a resistor module set in the tumbler that is "read" when you turn the tumbler over (with key, or screwdriver, or frozen small dead animal paw, etc.) vs. some of the older systems you may have seen with the "chip" visible on the key itself. For you to retain functionality of the system (ex. start the truck when you need it to) you'll need a tumbler/key set meant for a 1998-1999 GMT400 model. The resistor in the new tumbler will need to be learned into the system once you install it, or the engine will simply start then immediately stall each time you crank it, as the antitheft system will kick in.

You can have the tumblers in your door locks re-keyed easily by any locksmith to match the key for your new ignition tumbler.

Richard
Thanka for the info, that really helps.

The passenger door lock is drilled out but still locks from inside but the driver door still has one. Both doors arw dented though so based on your info, I think my best immediate course is to keep the flathead and get the driver's side tumbler rekeyed.

I will post aome pics from under rhe hoos tomorrow. It does say vortec somewhere on there, so maybe it is the original engine. I just didn't think so because she runs so well.

Thank you, Richard!

mysterytruck

Reaction score
Thanka for the info, that really helps.

The passenger door lock is drilled out but still locks from inside but the driver door still has one. Both doors arw dented though so based on your info, I think my best immediate course is to keep the flathead and get the driver's side tumbler rekeyed.

I will post aome pics from under rhe hoos tomorrow. It does say vortec somewhere on there, so maybe it is the original engine. I just didn't think so because she runs so well.

Thank you, Richard!
Meant to say; 'maybe my best course of action is two doors off of a suburban and to keep the flathead for now, or just to get the driver's side tumbler rekeyed'. Sorry, just got off work.