Opinions on 383 crate motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wardi

Reaction score
I went the GM Performance HT383E way with my 2000 Z71 Tahoe. NOT cheap. $5K for the engine alone back in June 2011. I had 115k HARD miles on the original engine. I had a local dealer I was/am OK with (Community in Burbank), and I wanted the 3 year GM warranty, which BTW, just ran out. Good thing I took it over a few weeks ago - That's a story I plan on putting up here when it get finalized. For the most part I'm pretty happy. It doesn't accelerate much better, but I notice it holds speed better up hills when I'm loaded/towing. Anyway, since I'm in California where we get smogged every 2 years, and this is my daily driver, I did not do anything to the computer. So I know I've got some performance that not being used, thought I haven't towed near as much since I got the engine. So I'm planning on digging in to the computer this fall. Additionally, it seems I may well need to do some tranny upgrades if I do tweak the computer, and do some other stuff........marine intake, heaters etc. etc. You all will love this - I kept the "tired" 5.7 and it's on an engine stand in the garage.......yup.....since 2011! It's actually one of 2 engines on a stand in my garage......yup.....it's a disease........and I got it bad!

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went the GM Performance HT383E way with my 2000 Z71 Tahoe. NOT cheap. $5K for the engine alone back in June 2011. I had 115k HARD miles on the original engine. I had a local dealer I was/am OK with (Community in Burbank), and I wanted the 3 year GM warranty, which BTW, just ran out. Good thing I took it over a few weeks ago - That's a story I plan on putting up here when it get finalized. For the most part I'm pretty happy. It doesn't accelerate much better, but I notice it holds speed better up hills when I'm loaded/towing. Anyway, since I'm in California where we get smogged every 2 years, and this is my daily driver, I did not do anything to the computer. So I know I've got some performance that not being used, thought I haven't towed near as much since I got the engine. So I'm planning on digging in to the computer this fall. Additionally, it seems I may well need to do some tranny upgrades if I do tweak the computer, and do some other stuff........marine intake, heaters etc. etc. You all will love this - I kept the "tired" 5.7 and it's on an engine stand in the garage.......yup.....since 2011! It's actually one of 2 engines on a stand in my garage......yup.....it's a disease........and I got it bad!

Did you retain the original fuel/intake setup that the Tahoe came with? What about the exhaust?

Wardi

Reaction score
Did you retain the original fuel/intake setup that the Tahoe came with? What about the exhaust?

Yes. Everything that didn't come with/on the crate engine is just pulled off the original stock engine and bolted on the new 383, including the stock headers and stock intake. The catalog, the website, and a few boards that I looked at said the stock intake and computer would "figure out" how to flow the right amount of fuel for the 383. And I wanted to see if it would really smog hear in California. It did back in 2012. I realize that the 383 is kinda restricted by the headers and intake. I think I saw/read somewhere that a computer tune will produce more of a noticeable performance improvement than when the 383 is just put in there with all the stock stuff. After this next smog I'm gonna do "some stuff."

I think the pic below will show the rockers I upgraded to, and it shows the old/original headers already bolted on.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My plan was to swap the SB throttle body out for a BB unit, higher flow injectors, and adjustable FPR to help feed the beast. The exhaust needs work so headers and new pipes if budget allows. I know a guy locally that can do the PCM work if needed too.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do too but I also like a truck that runs the same everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk