Opinions on 383 crate motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the Blueprint 383 TBI replacement has been ordered! :) Should be delivered in ~2 weeks. I'm going to run over to the shop that will be doing the swap and meet the guys sometime this week. Also I'm going to ask about having the transmission and transfer case gone through while it's all apart. I looked at the MSI Atomic EFI system and that may be an option later down the road, but for now I just want to get it up and running with the existing TBI.

The motor uses a 400 SBC crank, so I will need to pick up a new flywheel and clutch assembly as it will need to be externally balanced.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those engines don't come with flywheel/flexplates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm 99% positive any 383 flexplate would work

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why do you think it's a 400 sbc crank. There are 383 specific cranks that are different from 400sbc crabks

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Called Blueprint and they said it's a 400 crank. Needs an ext balanced flywheel to go with the 400 SBC harmonic balancer on the front.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm that's odd. There website says it needs 350 sbc flywheel to work with the 400sbc balanced