Online Transmission Rebuilder Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking finding a shop to do the whole enchilada...but seems like OP is trying to save a bit if cash. I don't blame him; $3,600 is a big chunk of change. Heck, I only paid $2,500 GMT 400, and that included a transmission, running and all, LOL.

Those things Erik mentioned are really the most important things on installation. I've put a straightedge across the bellhousing and measure to the converter pads as extra insurance to make sure converter is seated all the way in. Also, converter spacing is something to learn about and check.

With tranmission jack it's not too bad to remove and replace. A bit easier on a 2wd. Preferably have a helper.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So for everybody who chimed in. Does this include ordering a gm tranny from gm performance and having it installed? Or is that route pretty safe since its warranty through gm?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
If you look at their warranty form it says it needs to be installed by a dealership or a certified shop. So I think that would exclude DIY jobs...

I think it's the same as when you buy an engine from GM, no?

This is 100% correct, warranty is null and void if the part is installed by an individual and not a dealer/certified shop. I have to deal with performance dealers and the occasional customer who is trying to warranty out parts which were not installed by a professional and can not be verified in our system. Sorry dude that you 10k motor is now something that you have to eat the cost on because you installed it yourself and dorked it up.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that begs the question, what if you're ASE certified and working at home?

Insisting that you have it installed by their shop would violate the Magnusson-Moss warranty act, but they try to skirt that by saying "a certified shop". I'm pretty sure that if you could show credentials, you could win in court, but the lawyer fees likely wouldn't be worth it.

"In addition, it is permissible to disclaim warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by the use of parts or service you didn’t provide. Here is an example of a permissible provision in that circumstance:

Necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company. Damage caused to the AudioMundo Stereo System by you or any non-authorized third party, however, may void this warranty."

Note that they specifically state that damage caused by a non-authorized third party is not covered by the warranty. It does not say the warranty is voided because a third party did the work.

E-gads

Reaction score
I agree that using a local shop is better. I bought an rebuilt trans online from a name brand company that i have seen praised on many car programs. It took forever to ship and the 1-2 shift was so hard that if I was on the phone it would cause me to stutter. At WOT I would be looking in my review mirror to see if I had to go back to pick up any parts. I pulled the 1-2 accumulator and they had an arrangement that the piston was put in backwards with two springs outside and one short one inside that only cushioned the shock when the piston bottomed out. i know this is a performance thing but the shift was brutal. I think maybe because my 383 has a lot of torque. Fortunately that was an easy fix to return to stock. I do have to say that I haven't had an other problems.

I sent back the core and they told me that the didn't receive my core but there was an engine in the tote they received instead and that they were not going to refund my core charge. I asked for pictures to verify and the engine turned out to be a brand new engine for a 2019 F150. I told them that I was going to send a freight company to come pick that up and they miraculously found my core and refunded my core charge.

The biggest problem is that if it blows up in warranty period, I'm pretty much screwed. They only offer a token hourly rate to a local shop to do warranty work and I suppose I would probably have to pay a local shop out of pocket and then try to recoup some of the money from them. (my opinion only based on my feelings) I don't have any warm and fuzzy feelings about that.

I heard a statistic a month or so ago that a large percent of transmission rebuilds are done incorrectly. I wish I could remember the source and percentage. If I were to do it again, I would do the research and buy all the premium parts i want to have installed and have a reputable local shop do it. When a trans is being rebuilt, some parts are good to reuse, some are bad and need to be replaced but sometimes a part is in between and I worry if the deciding vote is the shops bottom line.