One brake drum locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yup brake cleaner spray doesn't have oils in it, so it won't damage or contaminate the brake linings. But it WILL take off paint, and cloud up plastic. And it's still flammable.....so do take appropriate care when using it, like any other chemicals.
Not trying to be preachy, just don't like to see people do stupid **** that's totally avoidable.

Some of it is non-flammable. There are two kinds.... green can and red can. One of them is very dangerous if used to clean steel when welding. It off gasses some really nasty stuff.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Some of it is non-flammable. There are two kinds.... green can and red can. One of them is very dangerous if used to clean steel when welding. It off gasses some really nasty stuff.
Yes CRC makes the red (the regular stuff) and the green is supposed to be more environmentally friendly. It all stinks. I've heard of guys using it as bug repellent back in the 70s. See also: WD40 flame thrower......

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've shot bugs out of the air with carb cleaner before.

It'll also turn the lawn black..... When I was a kid I sprayed some out the back door of the garage and walked away (I was cleaning something). A little while later my mother was complaining that I had done something to the grass.... I was clueless until I went to look. The whole area was black :D

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubbing alcohol often has something like 70% alcohol, and 30% glycerine. Some brands are 91%/9%. A few even have "scents" like wintergreen oil.

You don't want the glycerine on your shoes.

There are other solvents that don't have a lubricant mixed-in. Aerosol brake cleaner, for example.
The brake cleaner wasn't effective enough, and I had the alcohol handy. The best answer is "buy new shoes", but I didn't. I used alcohol and it worked. It's also far more cost-effective - brake cleaner is way overpriced. So far it's been braking great, which is surprising, considering I'm still running the JB3 setup.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
JB3/5 brakes are kinda why I'm leaning towards a 2500 pickup if I can find one I can afford/fix on that's not a stick.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JB3 is worthless. No redeeming features. OTOH, you'll be doing front-end work anyway, and it's no big deal to change the knuckles/hubs to JB5, and the booster/master to JB5 or hydroboost. Then it's just the rear axle that has to "go". So don't let JB3 stop you, just have a plan to get rid of it.

JB5 is fine, once you scrap the rear axle in favor of a light-duty 2500 (9.5" semi-float) of the same gear ratio. which comes with 11.1 Duo-Servo brakes. Everything in front is good (if it's working properly.)