One brake drum locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Europaman

Reaction score
Need brake advice... EDIT: I have an 89 GMC K1500 SLE, non Z71

Situation is: right rear drum is almost locked up and gets smoking hot quickly. Will turn with great effort while left one and two fronts are fine. Prior to this I rebuilt most of the system, replacing master cylinder, both calipers, both rear cylinders, all new lines. Bled starting with farthest and so on right after I replaced everything. Theres a brake warning light on constantly also. Parking brake works perfectly with left wheel and I have decent brake pedal.

Also, odometer quit working while speedo is ok, but doubt that's related. (in a separate thread)

Last edited:

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you " bench bleed " the new master cylinder before putting it on? The lockup on the rear drum sounds like they're not adjusted correctly or that new wheel cylinder is not doing its job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year, what model, what anything
Ill assume Chevrolet.
The front brakes have very little to do with the rear brakes.
unless you didnt bench bleed the master before you put it in.
You have a rear brake dragging and a rear brake freewheeling at the same time.
Make sure the rears are working and adjusted properly before you even bother with the fronts.
How did you go about adjusting the rear shoes and the parking brake cable?
Serious question, no disrespect at you at all, but it makes a big difference.
Describe as much as you can about how you adjusted the brakes and the cables

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had one side getting hot right after I paid to have the rear brakes done....it was a parking brake cable.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
Need brake advice...

Situation is: right rear drum is almost locked up and gets smoking hot quickly. Will turn with great effort while left one and two fronts are fine. Prior to this I rebuilt most of the system, replacing master cylinder, both calipers, both rear cylinders, all new lines. Bled starting with farthest and so on right after I replaced everything. Theres a brake warning light on constantly also. Parking brake works perfectly with left wheel and I have decent brake pedal.

Also, odometer quit working while speedo is ok, but doubt that's related. (in a separate thread)
like 454 said, it's your parking brake cable, I had the same issue once because the previous owner over tightened the cable and when I put new rear brakes on the right rear over adjusted itself.
loosen your parking brake cable then adjust the rear shoes then adjust the parking brake.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And, make sure you dont have any big deep grooves worn into the rear backing plate and that the new shoes dont have a big honking burr on the frame.
They often do. I always file the edges so they cant dig in and stick.
Grooves in the backing plate will make a shoe hang in place too.
And, make sure you dont have the shoes in backwards.
They will fit either way but one is smaller than the other.

But it would help to know what you are working on

Europaman

Reaction score
Did you " bench bleed " the new master cylinder before putting it on? The lockup on the rear drum sounds like they're not adjusted correctly or that new wheel cylinder is not doing its job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yes, I bench bled the master.

Europaman

Reaction score
And, make sure you dont have any big deep grooves worn into the rear backing plate and that the new shoes dont have a big honking burr on the frame.
They often do. I always file the edges so they cant dig in and stick.
Grooves in the backing plate will make a shoe hang in place too.
And, make sure you dont have the shoes in backwards.
They will fit either way but one is smaller than the other.

But it would help to know what you are working on
I edited my post...89 GMC K1500 non Z71

Europaman

Reaction score
What year, what model, what anything
Ill assume Chevrolet.
The front brakes have very little to do with the rear brakes.
unless you didnt bench bleed the master before you put it in.
You have a rear brake dragging and a rear brake freewheeling at the same time.
Make sure the rears are working and adjusted properly before you even bother with the fronts.
How did you go about adjusting the rear shoes and the parking brake cable?
Serious question, no disrespect at you at all, but it makes a big difference.
Describe as much as you can about how you adjusted the brakes and the cables
It's been a while since I put all this together so memory is a little foggy. Honestly didn't think I needed to change the parking brake adjustment as it was holding good before and was all freely moving. And as far as the shoes, I adjusted them to where I could just barely get the drums over them knowing they self adjust anyway. I will be disassemblying it today and having a closer look.