OK SO Any1 Done This???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonstreet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update if anyone is still around? I pulled the pan found that the oil pump screen was half blocked off with crud, so I put all new lifters in got the puller from AutoZone for 15 buck on rental. Put a High Volume Pump in cleaned out the pan, it had half an inch of crap in it. but mainly crap I've been putting in from the top end. I hope to finish this week. Been one hell of a ride! thankx guys

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Keep the updates coming.

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have not put the pan back on, you need to pull that high volume pump out and return it for a standard volume pump. As dirty as your engine is, that HV pump will put all your oil on top where it won't be able to drain back. Chevy engines don't need a HV pump unless they need to feed an external power adder that requires pressure lube.

Pressure should be created by proper clearances in the engine, not increasing the oil flow. HV pumps put unnecessary stress on the cam and timing set. Hot Rod magazine had a little blurb several years ago where they dropped the oil pressure 3-4 lbs and picked up about 7hp.

The proper pump you need is a Melling 77A, which is the Z28 pump. It is standard volume, but the pressure relief spring is stronger and allows for more pressure to be built before opening the bypass. A HV pump runs with the bypass open most of the time, heating up and aerating the oil, reducing its ability to protect engine bearing surfaces. It also greatly increases windage which robs power as well.