You all helped me so much, but I still have so many questions about this truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kavenadams

Reaction score
Whenever I bought the truck for $900. The ignition system was the only notable thing that was heavily changed to a person that has little expensive looking at a TBI350. The whole system was ran to a switch using 14 gauge speaker wire and half the time it didn’t even start. I had that fixed along with my steering coloum. After doing a full tune up I noticed this female connector and have absolutely no clue what it’s for. Could it be the reason that my check engine light comes on whenever I drive for more than 20 minutes or give it full throttle past second gear?

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 21

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yep, that's the EST wire. The Check Engine light should come on with that unplugged. With it unplugged and barring any of the Jim-Bob butchery your truck has going on, you'll have zero timing advance, which means your truck is going to be a real slug. The connector it plugs into should be behind the beauty cover on the passenger side firewall, adjacent to the coolant overflow reservoir. If you find that connector and plug it in, don't be surprised if it won't start or stalls.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well.. it LOOKS like the disconnect for the timing bypass wire, except on 1988-1993 it's usually found in the bundle of wires of the large loom above it, and not in its own little flex loom. And the wire should be tan with a black stripe, not black or another dark color as the wire in the picture appears. Unless someone got crazy with the spray paint under the hood, which is possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is (looks purple?) O2 maybe?
4wd looks like it has a front axle solenoid switch that has a purple wire?

Last edited:

Kavenadams

Reaction score
Well.. it LOOKS like the disconnect for the timing bypass wire, except on 1988-1993 it's usually found in the bundle of wires of the large loom above it, and not in its own little flex loom. And the wire should be tan with a black stripe, not black or another dark color as the wire in the picture appears. Unless someone got crazy with the spray paint under the hood, which is possible.

Richard
The wire is purple, my est is plugged in and my O2 sensor is plugged in, that wire comes out right behind my distributor cap

Kavenadams

Reaction score

Richard
The wire is purple, my est is plugged in and my O2 sensor is plugged in, that wire comes out right behind my distributor cap