OEM mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
How hard is it to do a steering wheel swap out? The old man that was my trucks PO really dogged the steering wheel and when I got the truck it had some funky purple velvet slip-on steering wheel cover (which i've since replaced with a black faux leather slip-on steering wheel cover), but i'd really like to just have a nice factory gmc steering wheel and I came across a few at the junkyard the other day. Just very cautious of whats involved as I know i'm dealing with airbags. How do you get around those without blowing the thing up in your face? Thanks.

BTW that sounds like a pretty sweet conversion list you've got started there.
on a 88-94.

pop off horn button, undo the 13/16 nut, use steering wheel puller, slide old wheel off, slide new wheel on, tighten down the 13/16th nut to press new one on, hook up horn button, pop on button.

therealtor1

Reaction score
on a 88-94.

pop off horn button, undo the 13/16 nut, use steering wheel puller, slide old wheel off, slide new wheel on, tighten down the 13/16th nut to press new one on, hook up horn button, pop on button.

Cool, good to know. Thanks.

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yo..... Orangestre... How did you put rear vents in Ex Cab!!! You need to do some install threads showing some of those mods....Sounds really cool!!! Wouldn't mine knowing how to install Steering controls either.

Most of the mods have been covered here before, not by myself but other poster's. Any questions feel free to ask,I will do my best to help.I will post some photo's this weekend of the progress of my interior swap.

The rear vent's in the extended cab were available in 97 and 98.In order to add them you need the lower deflector from a truck/SUV with rear vents, obviously the vent tubing,outlet vents and a carpet.

The steering wheel audio control's are covered in a sticky at the top of this section.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Factory power heated mirrors. They came on '88-'91 OOBS SUV's, Blazers, Jimmys, Suburbans, etc.
I think that the funky addition on the bottom of the mirror is where the electronics are.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

-Truckin-

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would you like to trade? I believe they where on some 99-00 Escalades and Denalis. I could be wrong on that, but its my best guess!

My parents 99 Suburban had them. Wish I would have bought it back fromt he insurance company or just bought it before it got totaled.

I plan on small stereo, heated leather GMT400 Suburban buckets, GMT900 jump seat, changing the red/blue/gray 3 tone interior over to black, suede headliner and door panel inserts, door panels are the big pocket panels from a 90 Silverado and Autometer gauges in factory location and a pillar pod(unsure of 2 or 3 gauge).

Last edited:

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 94+ heated power mirrors aren't all that scarce. You just need to look north. I have seen quite a few 'burban's, tahoe's etc. with heated mirrors. The set on my truck came from a 2000 Escalade. The down side is once they head to the wrecker's one or both of the mirror's have been replaced with aftermarket ones. The real key to the swap is the extra piece to the door harness. I simply have mine wired to my rear defrost circuit, I would love to get my hand's on a SUV that has these stock that the owner will let me do some research on how much of the firewall harness is different.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
The wreckers i goto has a set of headed power mirrors there, but the glass is discolored from the heater.