NO LOW END POWER, TERRIBLE ACCELERATION... HELP???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
I recently put a new engine block in my 1998 Silverado (5.7l Vortec 350) and I have noticed that i have absolutely NO low end power (She won't even climb oil change ramps) and terrible acceleration. I was told to replace my fuel filter and I did so; still no change. could it be something with timing advance? or a clogged injector? I really need this truck running right because I have to pull a trailer to Texas tomorrow and I don't think it will make it... any help please??

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
timing has to be set with a diagnostic scanner and the distributer has to be set in the motor a certain way

Thatlowchevy

Reaction score
I have set the base timing by setting the #1 cylinder to TDC, then positioning the distributor to point at #1. from there i hand adjusted it for best idle and rpm range up to 1500RPM. hope that helps

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have set the base timing by setting the #1 cylinder to TDC, then positioning the distributor to point at #1. from there i hand adjusted it for best idle and rpm range up to 1500RPM. hope that helps

Like badazz said it needs to be set with a scanner. It is nothing like the days of old.

Thatlowchevy

Reaction score
I think they messed up when they put all the fancy computer stuff on lol. I'll take it to a Dealer when i get back

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not a complicated system, but you just can't set the cam retard offset without a good live data scanner.

Truckracer

Reaction score
cam to crankshaft correlation has no effect on driveablility or power. Its only to prevent crossfire.

Engine timing is controlled strictly by the crankshaft position sensor and the PCM.

Mine suffered from low end power loss and bad mileage. Spider injector upgrade, new MAF sensor, and a tps and its a tire burner again.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've been off my 80 degrees and it ran fine. Others get misfires and stutters when they're off by 20 or 30. Running with it wrong for any extended period is hell on the cap and rotor.