New (to me) 99 Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwelar

Reaction score
So finally got the verdict from the shop today. There is a LOT of work to be done on this rig. Much of it was expected for a @25 yr old vehicle. It’s mostly seals and bushings that haven’t been upkept. I definitely don’t have the cash to get everything done so just going to do what I believe will keep the vehicle on the road for the time being. Here’s the list give me some feed back:
Coolant temp sensor- broken but reading as far as I know
Crankshaft position sensor- causing a leak right near the front of the oil pan. Oil pan gasket looks to be in good condition from what can be seen.
Engine oil cooler lines- old and starting to seep so going to get fresh ones in there.
Output shaft bushing on rear of transfer case- leaking and causing a wonderful mess
Rear axle seals- leaking and causing a loss of braking on drivers side so both are getting replaced with a good clean of the rear drums to degrease/deoil. This will also give me peace of mind that fresh fluid is in there protecting the super cool G80 that I believe is in the 14 bolt.

This is just what I’m having done by the shop to ensure the vehicle functions and has a solid fluid base. The rest is pretty much the entire front rack and pinion steering system needs to be stripped and new bushings installed on everything. And I do mean the entire thing. There are cracked boots and gnarly looking bushings all over. I expected this so it’s not a total shock. I wasn’t aware of exactly how worn they were while it was sitting on the ground though. I don’t think I’m at risk of catastrophic failure of any of these components just yet so have some time until they need to be replaced but they need to be done before any serious off road trips occur. On road they are beefy enough to hold up to even our SoCal roads up in the hills.

In other news, my dash cover is set to ship out from Coverking in the next couple days. Super excited to get that!

Jwelar

Reaction score
Yeah I probably got the terminology wrong but you get the idea. The whole steering set up needs to be replaced.

I don’t have a problem tackling some of it but it’s already in the shop, on a lift I don’t have, and they’re not charging me an arm and a leg for the work. May as well let them handle some of it and save myself some time on my back in the dirt.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I probably got the terminology wrong but you get the idea. The whole steering set up needs to be replaced.

I don’t have a problem tackling some of it but it’s already in the shop, on a lift I don’t have, and they’re not charging me an arm and a leg for the work. May as well let them handle some of it and save myself some time on my back in the dirt.
Fair enough. Just wanna make sure you know your set up. I've had some upsetting experiences with mechanics lately and seems like nobody cares about working on a 25yr old truck anymore nowadays. When i got mine from the shop something always loose or missing after you get it worked on. Might just be the area I'm at though...

Jwelar

Reaction score
I’m testing this shop out honestly. So far it’s been a very comfortable experience. Family shop but professional. They didn’t just do the work and give me a $10k bill. I picked and chose what they do that will fit into my budget. And they have Veteran discounts so that’s always a plus. Authorized some work this morning so we’ll see how everything pans out.

Jwelar

Reaction score
3 more shipping codes due from FedEx. Dash cover came in and it’s pretty cool looking. Nice and red necky just for Southern California. Now I just need to get the truck back from the shop. Lol I’m thinking some air horns and front/rear dash cams are in the future. Some Mercedes owner tried to put their car into the side of my van today. No signal. No look. Just tried to slide right over. If I already had sliders and beefy bumpers on the truck I’d just let ‘em come on over. Do they sell cheap Mercedes and beemer emblems so I can keep track of body count?