New steering gear box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to get rid of my steering slop and have replaced everything from the rag joint to idler and putman arms and tie rod ends. I can still turn my steering wheel from 11:00 to 1:00 without the tires moving. What y'all think the steering box? And if so what steering box do you recommend? Thanks

What?

Reaction score
Worn out steering box can cause play. I've had better steering box with low miles from recycle/junkyard than I do with remain/new from chain auto stores (Although they are lifetime warranty on step up models). I'm due to replace new one from AutoZone again, not even a year of use.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am on my third box. I have had thoughts of getting a rack and pinion rack from a 800 truck and installinh it in my truck. For now I am not going to do any thing. The play in my box is from 12 OC to 1 OC, and the leak is very small. Stop leak may stop the leak, but I haven't don that ether, yet. You can always adjust the Allen nut on the top of the box, this will help some for a while.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am on my third box. I have had thoughts of getting a rack and pinion rack from a 800 truck and installinh it in my truck. For now I am not going to do any thing. The play in my box is from 12 OC to 1 OC, and the leak is very small. Stop leak may stop the leak, but I haven't don that ether, yet. You can always adjust the Allen nut on the top of the box, this will help some for a while.

If you end up doing this pm me with the results. I've been thinking about it myself

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just checked my rag joint, and it is bad. Replacing it will help judging by the slack, or may be I will attempt making a solid one. Not sure yet.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It looks like the jeep swap is the best option, IMO

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I swap a new or reman'd steering gear in to this body style I use the 90-93 sport steering gear, roughly 1 turn less lock to lock, works great I even have one on my one my 2wd 3500 one ton.