New (reman) Throttle Body. Won't run and backfires like a bad timing chain. FIXED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello....
I put a reman TBi unit on my 1994 Suburban K1500 5.7 today. It was REALLY hard to start, then it ran ok for a bit. Put it in gear to do a driveway test ( I have a REALLY long driveway :p ) and it died. On restart it was bucking and backfiring like it had slipped a timing chain. I shut it down, checked all the vaccuum and wiring, all was fine. So I swapped back in the old unit (bad bushings, all the rest works fine) and it fired up and ran great, just the crappy hard to smash throttle due to the bad bushings. What did I do wrong, or did I just get a lemon reman unit?

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol I have done it but don’t exactly remember the steps, search for IAC relearn here and it should come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s what I love about the TBI system personally. Enough computer to keep it reliable but can still work on it in the driveway without a PHD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weird ive never had to relearn a throttle body truck. I do make my factory regulator adjustable on all them and makes a big difference. Also use pump from 96 and they last 10x longer. Last one i did has been going 12yr now.