Bad running after manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will definitely investigate further if needed, BUT.

I just picked up the acdelco spark plug wires. I took 2 and tested them and boy there is a difference,

The 2 I tested both had around 3.5k ohms/ft of resistance. Compared to the crazy numbers I was getting before from the NAPA ones.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
So update here, did a fuel pressure test and this is the result in the video below. Seems low to me. The pump is not even a year old, so I'm a bit annoyed.

I tested the fuel pressure a couple months back and it was like 12psi(at the filter though) so it has dropped significantly fairly recently.

I tested the pressure at the line going into the TBI unit this time.

Is there anything else besides the pump that would cause the low pressure? The filter is only a month old, the TBI unit is rebuilt about 3-4 months ago, with a new regulator diaphragm.

Heres the video right here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I have one of those gauges, there junk, when I was chasing some issues that I didn't have to chase lmao, anyways I'd hook it up n do a injector leak down test it drop to zero in 10 mins, there very unrealible,

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah ignition problem still persists, I’m done chasing potential issues and I’ll leave it to the mechanic I’m bringing it to Wednesday.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is the most recent video of it. I’m so lost

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the most recent video of it. I’m so lost

When I see bizarre behavior like that, on account of simply moving something around, that just screams "poor connection", e.g., bad wiring (a break internal to the wire and/or degraded wire due to age or internal oxidation) or a poor connection / connector (which can be due to a variety of causes)... basically, an electrical connection that's intermittently going open-circuit.

I know you've been chasing your tail on this, and everyone's tried to help, and I've certainly sent you checking "this" and "that", but to see the problem in action just seems to say "intermittent open circuit".

Last edited:

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I see bizarre behavior like that, on account of simply moving something around, that just screams "poor connection", e.g., bad wiring (a break internal to the wire and/or degraded wire due to age or internal oxidation) or a poor connection / connector (which can due to a variety of causes)... basically, an electrical connection that's intermittently going open-circuit.

I know you've been chasing your tail on this, and everyone's tried to help, and I've certainly sent you checking "this" and "that", but to see the problem in action just seems to say "intermittent open circuit".
Yeah that’s what I think it is to be honest. It’s just weird that I cannot get it to do it on demand by moving the wires when it is stationary, only when it’s by the dizzy and intake.

What wire would it be? The main 12v keyed wire to the coil?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What wire would it be? The main 12v keyed wire to the coil?

Well, AFAIK there's the switched-BAT from the IGN, and then there's two to the ignition module.

There's a fourth wire, to the tach, but that's just an output wire... unless it's getting inadvertently grounded somewhere when it's being moved, and causing an effect.

I guess it could be any of them :think:

Can you wiggle each, or at least some of them, independently and cause the problem to appear?

Try tugging on the related connectors, e.g., at the coil and at the control module?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, AFAIK there's the switched-BAT from the IGN, and then there's two to the ignition module.

There's a fourth wire, to the tach, but that's just an output wire... unless it's getting inadvertently grounded somewhere when it's being moved, and causing an effect.

I guess it could be any of them :think:

Can you wiggle each, or at least some of them, independently and cause the problem to appear?

Try tugging on the related connectors, e.g., at the coil and at the control module?
I can try that, I did just replace the two that come from the ignition module to the coil with a junkyard connector, because I had broken the connector to the ICM when I dropped my automatic transmission.

IIRC though, the problem was happening before I replaced those wires.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can try that, I did just replace the two that come from the ignition module to the coil with a junkyard connector, because I had broken the connector to the ICM when I dropped my automatic transmission.

IIRC though, the problem was happening before I replaced those wires.

Yeah, I'm grasping... but d@mn, when you move that coil around the problem is so evident.