New Radio, how to wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your owners manual. And RPO codes on glove box door.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So talked to Crutchfield-Metra folks and they say the 70-1858 adaptor will work somehow with the extra amp. I guess I have the amp if I've got 6 speakers and I do. I was really surprised to find that burb had 6 speakers, got 4 of them replaced. Of course the Surburban is so long that by the time the sound gets from the most rear speakers to the front its a little delayed, so kinda like built-in reverb.

dozerpilot

Reaction score
I literally just did this today. All you have to do is hook up the blue “power antenna” wire in the harness. We don’t have power antennas, but it sends the signal to turn on the factory rear speaker amp. If you have the amp, your rear door speakers won’t work unless you hook up that wire or wire around it.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, further stupidity here. I ordered the Metra adaptor and Crutchfield sent me a Mastersheet on how to remove the radio and other parts. They show removing a tuner/amp module, that necessary? Or is that function taken over by the new radio? Plus I remember reading somewhere on this forum, that that unit can be the problem for all bad sounds, if so, does it need to be replaced?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the adapter on mine I just chased down the appropriate wires from the factory plug and soldered them on to the after market harness. Solder and shrink tubing and it worked fine. At time I had not heard that there was an adapter on the market that would do the same thing. Bluetooth radio really modernizes the truck.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, further stupidity here. I ordered the Metra adaptor and Crutchfield sent me a Mastersheet on how to remove the radio and other parts. They show removing a tuner/amp module, that necessary? Or is that function taken over by the new radio? Plus I remember reading somewhere on this forum, that that unit can be the problem for all bad sounds, if so, does it need to be replaced?
There are no stupid questions coming from a lack of experience. We all had to learn this stuff. The module in a 400 is directly above accelerator pedal and removing it makes a lot of extra space under the dash. Its only a few bolts to remove and probably a good idea to get it out of there.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eveready, I've heard that those tuner/amp modules go bad and if you put a new one in the radio and cassette works good again??? So no need for new radio?

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sheesh, so I pull the tuner/amp and there's like 3 plugs with several wires each, then pull the radio head module and there are several wires but no plug, they go into the unit and are soldered to the circuit board. The Cructhfield directions say to disconnect the module, but that ain't possible. Guess I'll have to cut wires, never fun. Haven't even pulled the cassette deck yet.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure that's not just a short pigtail out of Tuner or Amplifier? Whats the output of your new Radio? The Panasonic I installed in Tahoe has a 100 watt output so no need for Amplfier. Avoid cutting wires at all cost. I believe using the Scoshe or Metra adapter plugs far outweigh the time and grief of hunting down a bad crimp, failed solder joint, or color matching wires. I look at it as in investment in working smarter not harder. You do have the free on this forum service manuals with wire diagrams locations, exploded views of parts? Book CK1 and Book CK2.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My old radio head just unplugged from the amp module but yours may be different . I would get it all out of there and not bother with the tape player as they tend to fail. Most any modern head unit will drive six speakers at normal volume . Most also support a sub woofer and amp combo if you like waking up the neighbors when you come home late. If you have two original speakers left anywhere you had best test them. Old Delco speakers tend to be crappy or fail completely. Good luck!